6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 3, 2016 6:15 PM by Joseph Dunfee

Creating blocks that use color

Joseph Dunfee

I was in the process of converting our AutoCAD title block to use in SW, when I realized that blocks in drawings always display a gray color.  It is permitted to use color when creating or editing a block, but as soon as you are done, the block turns a uniform gray.  If the block is exploded, it regains its color.

Aside from exploding all blocks, is there a way to use color in block?

-Joe

• Re: Creating blocks that use color
          Vladimir Urazhdin

Click on the block -> Layer Properties -> on drop down menu choice: -Per Standard-

John Stoltzfus

I use a block to show the direction of wood grain and like you say it comes in gray then I change the layer and the color is correct, so I just copy and paste to each required drawing, so would also like to know if there is an option to have blocks in different layers saved with different colors.....

Matt Wallace

If you go to customize... there is a button for editing sketch color.  This works for blocks.  I find it useful enough that I have it on my heads up bar.    It is under edit->appearance->

edit color.png

Joseph Dunfee

Matt, thank you for you effort, but I am not clear about your approach, in spite of you putting the effort into adding the picture.

If I go to the Tools/Options pull-down menu, there is nothing about editing the sketch color.

If I go to the Edit pull-down menu, there is no Appearance choice.

Note that my colors are actually applied to solid hatches within the block. There are multiple colors in the block, if that is an issue.

-Joe

Joseph Dunfee

I just went through about 2 hours worth of experimentation. 1st, I tried putting the sold fills onto layers with the colors I wanted.  But, that did not work either.  Then, I decided to start with a blank page and see if I could figure out what would work and what would not.

I was in for a surprise.  My original block was originally an AutoCAD block with some solid hatches.  But, if I first explode the block on one drawing, and then paste the entities onto another one, then I can add the solid hatches, change their colors, and then create the block.  Then, everything is good, and I can get the colors to show up fine.  I don't need layers or any other trick.

One other odd behavior, if you edit a block with solid hatches, and then scale the entities, including the solid hatches, the solid hatches do not scale at all.

I can't invest more time to discern all the issues, but the main thing I discovered is that an AutoCAD block, with a solid hatch inside it, will mess up a drawing, and not permit even newly created solid hatches to show their colors.

-Joe