4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 1, 2016 1:10 PM by Michael Huggins

Is there a way to exclude an entire sub-assembly from a Pack and Go?

Michael Huggins

Is there a way to exclude an entire sub-assembly from a Pack and Go?  I have assemblies which consist of various individual parts and sub-assemblies.  Some of the sub-assemblies are just reference and not really part of the  true assembly.  When I do a Pack and Go I would like to exclude these reference assemblies, but cannot do it without individually un-checking every single component of the sub-assembly which can be hundreds of parts even when it is suppressed.  Just un-checking the top level of the sub-assembly does not work.  You would think that doing that would un-check all below.  There has to be a better way (at least I would hope).  Any ideas?

• Re: Is there a way to exclude an entire sub-assembly from a Pack and Go?
          Wojciech Paterski

why not just delete those from the main assembly before doing pack and go. (assuming you have PDM and the main assembly isn't checked out to you, changes wont be saved).

And next time you open that assembly it will sitll have those referenced parts.

There might be other way but can't check it (don't use pack and go often) but this is the quickest way i can think of.

Glenn Schroeder

Wojciech Paterski wrote:

why not just delete those from the main assembly before doing pack and go. (assuming you have PDM and the main assembly isn't checked out to you, changes wont be saved).

And next time you open that assembly it will sitll have those referenced parts.

That's probably going to be the best answer.  As long as you exit the main assembly without saving after doing the Pack and Go it should be fine.  Or you should be able to use the Undo function after Pack and Go to bring back the sub-assembly before exiting.

John Stoltzfus

I pack & go everything and delete what I don't need later - I think that after years of major issues with pack & go, I like to think I finally have it.  I used to uncheck what I don't need and had a lot of issues down the road, more than likely my workflow.  For example on a "new" bed design the headboard posts are the same across 5 sizes and there are a few other interchangeable components, but what I do is pack and go everything and then I exclude the new size from the BOM and insert the interchangeable components and then hide the packed ones, however I do uncheck all the fasteners so there aren't multiple files, the worst thing that can happen is to have multiple copies of the same component in different folders..

Michael Huggins

I appreciate everybody's response.  It is not looking like there is "good" way to do it.  I have done both of the above and that does work.  It is in my opinion, bad software design to not allow such basic functionality.  At least they should provide a means to select multiple components at a time and check or un-check them all as a group.  It has been this way for years and I was hoping that I was just missing something. I got a little annoyed with it this morning and finally got around to asking. Thanks.

Mike