4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 2, 2016 12:19 PM by Jason Capriotti

is it possible to look at all versions of excel files?

Ben Findlay

i have just set up a new template in EPDM to create an excel sheet that shows top level assys of a machine.  there will be a new version/revision if something is added or subtracted or qty changed.  is it possible to let a group (i.e. engineers) see all revisions of that excel file?  and if so how?

Thanks

Ben

• Re: is it possible to look at all versions of excel files?
          Charley Saint

I'm guessing that you're asking if "Always work with latest versions of files" can be turned off for specific filetypes. Unfortunately no, you can turn on the ability to get older versions from the SolidWorks add-in but I don't think that functionality has been added to the office add-in. Be sure to put in an enhancement request for that.

Paul Wyndham

I think that has to do with the user settings related to getting latest version.

You get to that page by clicking the settings button on the user or group properties page.

My MS Office add-in has not been working so I can't test it for you at the moment.

The downside is that unchecking those three boxes would allow the users to accidentally work with files that are not the latest version.

Hope that is helpful.

Ben Findlay

Hi

ok so basically i cant without un-checking the "always get latest" which is not favourable like you say.  I will raise an enhancement request, but in the mean time i'd thought of another way of doing it using dispatch (with VB help) to copy and rename (xxxx-rev3.xlsx) the last revision (on state change) so you can always see the old versions, which might be simpler and safer.

Thanks for you help :-)

Jason Capriotti

Right click on the file and go to "History". You can select the version you want and select "View" which will open that version it in the default viewer. Or you can hit "Save" and save a copy of it to open outside of PDM.

We also use "Always works with latest" as I believe it's dangerous not too. Just too easy to open older versions that were last cached without knowing it, They need to add a menu option to "Open version" when using this setting. Then the regular open or double click open should always get the latest. If you look at what "View" does is it copies the file somehwere...maybe a temp folder, and adds the version to the filename.