4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 29, 2016 2:32 PM by Mark Fitzpatrick

Unfolded section view? When would you use it?

Mark Fitzpatrick

OK so I have made some stepped lines section views lately and noticed a question pops up on what type of section I would like to create. One option creates the section view as I would expect the other creates a view much larger than my part. That is an unfolded section view. I have searched SW and found nothing on unfolded section view yet it exists in their section view command????

Can anyone shed some light on when I might want to use an unfolded section view?

Attached is a screen shot of the two views and the options that pop up when I created a third.

Just trying to educate myself on when I might want to use the unfolded section view.

Thanks,

• Re: Unfolded section view? When would you use it?
          Matthew Lorono

Mark,

First, please do not use "Legacy foreshortened" option unless you know that you specifically need it.  This is a hold over from old legacy SW2012 behavior.  It has many issues and functional gaps.  Only a very small number of customers should use this option, even then, they shouldn't use this option all the time. 

Second, this message only pops up if you use legacy method to create section views.  Legacy method is drawing your own sketches and then use those to create your cutting line.  You don't need to do this since SW2013.  If you start the Section View tool without creating an initial sketch, the tool will allow you to create complex cutting lines (such as those in your example) in only a few clicks.  Check out Youtube or the SOLIDWORKS Help for details about this.

If you still draw your own sketch, the rules are different now then in SW2012.  We unified both Section View tools into one tool, as having two tools was causing a lot of confusion for customers.  You can now make any type of section view you wish with one tool.  The sketch itself tells SOLIDWORKS what you intend.  In your example, you have several offsets.  All you need to do is set the horizontal connector lines to be Construction lines.  This is because these connecting lines are not part of your final section view.  This tells SOLIDWORKS to ignore these lines and simply create a foreshortened projection of the vertical lines for you.  Basically, you are telling SOLIDWORKS how you wish to foreshorten your section view, rather than foreshortening via the brute force legacy method.

Again, instead of drawing your own sketch, please use the Section View itself to create your cutting line.

Mark Fitzpatrick

Matthew I tried using the tools in create section view but they don't place the lines even remotely to where I want them. I'll check out the you tube video to see if that helps explain using them better, but I couldn't figure them out.

Secondly I didn't know there were two tools for section views.

Anyway it still doesn't answer when I would want an unfolded section view. Or was the unfolded version I created an error on my part because the two jog line should have been construction lines?

Can you explain the differences between the two tools?

Thanks,

Matthew Lorono

Do you have a scenario where you aren't able to place lines where you need them?  The examples in your original message are easy to replicate, unless I misunderstood them.  I'm very interested in seeing how this tool can be improved for easy of use.

Most often, section views simply take a direct projection of the product in a direction perpendicular to the cutting line.  When there are no offsets in the cutting line, this is simply a matter of cutting the product at the cutting line.

The standards have this concept of offsets in cutting lines, however.  This concept of offsets was originally created when everyone was working 2D pencil drawings, where quick shortcuts were often employed, rather than logically sketching elements.  These same shortcuts were often carried over to 2D CAD.  The images created via these shortcuts didn't represent anything in the real world.  They were just illustrative.

Two type of offsets are supported in the standards, and the standards do not expressly limit these offsets to particular scenarios.  First are orthographically projected offsets, similar to the ones in your example.  This is most common with milled parts.  Second are aligned offsets, which unfold the model, displaying all cutting line segments as their own projections, merged into one view.  This is most common with turned parts.

However, the real world isn't so easily divided into milled and turned parts.  Also, 3D CAD accurately represents reality and the associated drawings are directly representative of the 3D model of the product.  Directly applying the projection of offsets of a cutting line to a section view can create all sorts of strangeness in the 3D realm.  This strangeness has to be taken into account in the tools we provide.  Tricks with pencils and simple draw tools cannot be used.

If a user cannot use the Section View Assist tool for a particular section view, we now provide a method to allow users to create section views that more accurately represent their expectations for as many scenarios as possible.  If you have offsets that you've drawn in sketch, simply change those to Construction lines.  The resultant section view will display your section view as you normally expect.

I should point out that the Section View Assist tool has now been in use 4 years, and is now the only method being taught to new users.  The tool does work well.  I invite you to try it out again, when you get the chance.  If you do run around a scenario where it's not working, please let me know.

Mark Fitzpatrick

OK I was able to try it using the new tool and it worked. The part of the new tool I was using and having trouble with was on the first screen I selected the lower right option (1,2,3 point) rather than just the vert or horz option where you can then add any jogs you chose after selecting that.

I found the tool very easy to use after realizing what it actually can do. No more sketching prior to the command for me.

Thank you.