2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 31, 2016 4:14 PM by S. Casale

Speedpak with the Use of Cpoints for Electrical Components

S. Casale

The intent of this post is to share and discuss the use of Speedpak with electrical components, and the routing program. Enhancement request being generated.

We design fairly small sized (.0000) products, sizes that may not exceed 1" in Diameter. In these products we may have 1000 piece parts or more (large assemblies), including electrical components. I tend to have my users design, model, and represent (drawings) these products as real as possible. My BoM for finished good should represent what I see in my assembly, including adhesives (although not always visual). Our drawings are true to life (except adhesives).

Our models tend to be cumbersome, due to the volume of electrical components. Although, the use of speedpak for mechanical parts is simply great, it's not necessary- Our mechanical components are not what slow down our assemblies. This said for Electrical components - not so great.

The problem lies in routing from a Cpoint in a component (which is not with a mating face) in a subassembly (which is Speedpaked) to a different component Cpoint in a higher level of the assembly (i.e. a wire is selected to be inserted into a terminal block using a Cpoint, which was part of an assembly that was speedpaked due to it's size) . The Speedpak hides the CPoints. If the Speedpack was created after the Routing was made in the higher assembly, the link to the Cpoint is broken as well (destroying the route). This proves that speedpak cannot be used for Electrical wiring properly.

It would be nice if somehow the Speedpak function allows inclusion of CPoints on selection when being created.