Jason H

Feature Driven Pattern On Flattened Or Formed Sheet Metal

Discussion created by Jason H on Sep 11, 2008
Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 by Andy Gordon
I cannot seem to figure this out. I have this lofted sheet metal part that has a curved surface. Well when I unfold it and put the hole pattern in it using the hole wizard, and fold it back up it seems O.K. But when I go to put it in an assembly and go to use a feature driven pattern to populate rivets in all the holes it shows it as if it where flattened and not a formed sheet metal part. Ideally I would like to pattern all the rivets along the curve, meaning the rivet heads follow the curve. I've tried everything I can think of from just trying to do it in a part file using the curve driven pattern. I've tried using a sketch driven pattern. I can't seem to figure this one out. It's kind of disappointing that Solidworks doesn't seem to know to keep the hole wizard with the surface it's created on. There big saying is focus on the design not the CAD but most of the time I find myself finding a work around. We do a lot of complicated sheet metal bends and it would be nice to figure this out. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Jason

Attachments

Outcomes