18 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2018 2:33 PM by Derek Eldridge

Workgroup PDM not allowing renaming of files

Evan Leftwick

Hello All,

I am using Workgroup PDM from 2013 and Their are some files that I cannot rename. I can rename most of my files but sometimes I will get an error message that says "Could not rename document". Anyways this will be a big problem as manangement wants me to basically rename all my drawings to exactly match the names they have in their software. Does anyone know a  way around this or why it won't let me rename them?

Thanks

• Re: Workgroup PDM not allowing renaming of files
          Feroz Mahomed

Evan,

I assume you already took ownership of the file to rename. It could be related to a life-cycle that you don't have permission to access.

Evan Leftwick

It is a mystery to me Feroz I a have already checked all my Vault admin settings, I should have RW access to everything, I have the "allow users to rename documents" box checked and there are no life cycles that should prevent me from renaming the part. I was able to rename the .slddrw file but not the .sldprt file.

Evan Leftwick

Jeff,

I am the only one in the company who uses Solidworks and I have checked to make sure that I am the only owner of the file.

Evan Leftwick

I have tried all these things and still no luck. I have gone tried to do it in the File explorer and it doesn't do anything, I have gone to the Solidworks expoler and it appears to rename the document in the local view but does not update it in the vault. I have tried taking ownership of any "Where used" files and it still won't rename. At this point I am just thinking it is some sort of unfixed bug in the version I am using.

Derek Eldridge

Evan Leftwick,

Did you ever find an answer to this question. I can confirm it is not your version. I've had this problem since the mid 2000's on multiple versions. I've even gone to the extent of writing a macro to rename files and catch a few here and there that will not rename. Sometimes can't change projects either.

Christian Chu

Make sure the file you rename in the right project - if it's ref. in other project, you can't rename it

Evan Leftwick

I never figured out the issue. Workgroup PDM always gave me problems when trying to rename files and sometimes I would rename a file and it would break its link with the drawing. I have switched to PDM standard and it does not have these renaming issues.

John Matrishon

Okay, so basically renaming in PDMW is simple, but not without limitations.

First - only rename files inside the vault, not outside.

Also note that if you rename a file in the vault, and someone has it on their local, there is a chance they could check that file in with the old name.  This happens when folks don't manage their local space well.

As Kenneth said, to rename a file you need to have ownership of EVERY file that is using it as a reference.  That's why drawings are so easy to rename, nothing else uses them.   A part however can be used in multiple drawings, assemblies, and other parts.   If you don't own one file, you can't rename.   Use caution.

PDM Standard and Pro handles files much differently, so rename is not the same there.

JM

Derek Eldridge

My experience has been different.

I've found that when I rename a file, in the background it systematically runs through all the "where used" assemblies and updates the references in each. I'm not required to own all the "where used" assemblies. Although, if anyone else owns a "where used" assembly, the renaming still occurs, though does not update the owned file because it is obviously locked.

The files i'm having issues with do not have references owned by someone else.

The file is not a shortcut. And I've successfully renamed hundreds of files.

One of the messages I get says "Document Name is Already in Use". But when I search, it is not.

John Matrishon

Tough to see all these variation without having the screen right in front of you.

You said "the renaming still occurs, though does not update the owned file"  can't remember now if that was an option?  maybe that was just my policy because of that issue?   Our PDMW vault is shutdown, so I can't even test it anymore....onto new fun with PDM Pro!!

JM

Derek Eldridge

Thank you John.

I know, it's hard to get support on software that has been abandon as of 2018. The problems I'm running into relate to prepping my workgroup file names to merge with PDMpro, while other copies of the files may also be merged from windows folders. I want to ensure they both have the same name to cause a collision and identify which files we need to make a choice on keeping.

I think I had the same policy of owning all the files years back in PDMWorks at another company.

I haven't even mentioned the files that stop responding. Such that, you can't rename it, can't delete it, or even move it to another project. I had one file in particular that stuck around for a year or more. I got to the point I just wanted the file gone. But couldn't delete it. But I could open it, and uprev it (check it in) and I could change properties. Eventually after random repeated attempts to delete it, it finally let me. I've also tried rebuilding the vault on next startup. No difference. At my old company, I set up a recurring bat file to Stop the Service and Restart it every Wed night in order to force the Validate vault Every Startup. No differences I could tell with this approach either. 

I think I'll have to resort to working around these rouge files with new files untill I can officially kick PDM workgroup to the curb. It's been a long run, and I'm grateful for having it all these years. (I refused to go without some type of PDM) But I'm also looking forward to being rid of the workgroup bugs. Now, on to find the PDMpro bugs. 

Evan Leftwick

John,

I was aware of all those things and still had some issues. I never figured out what was causing them but I think it had something to do with files that had been made in a much earlier version of Solidworks not being managed properly by PDMW. Anyhoo I am finding files much easier to work with in PDM Standard. It took a little getting used to after using workgroup for 5 years but it hasn't given me any troubles so far.