30 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2015 9:50 AM by Peter De Vlieger

Persistant toolbars

Simon Brooke
      Sometimes I start SW and there are un-docked toolbars there I rarely or perhaps never use - they seem to just pop up for no discernable reason. Anyone else get this and know how to stop it?

More usually, it will be photoworks and the plastic fastening toolbars. Less often it will be edrawings.

Thanks

SW2008 SP3.1
        • Persistant toolbars
          Dan Riffell
          According to SW, you don't have a problem. Check here. Best advise I can give is to ditch the toolbars altogether, and use shortcut keys and the shortcut bar.
            • Persistant toolbars
              Simon Brooke
              Thanks Dan,
              I agree, shortcuts and the command manager do most things - I use very few toolbars already. It's just that they keep coming back - I don't seem to be able to make them go away permanently.
                • Persistant toolbars
                  Dan Riffell
                  Have you saved your templates with them turned off?
                  • Persistant toolbars
                    Jim Wilkinson

Simon Brooke wrote:

Thanks Dan,

I agree, shortcuts and the command manager do most things - I use very few toolbars already. It's just that they keep coming back - I don't seem to be able to make them go away permanently.

Hi Simon,

If you refer to the thread Dan mentions, you can see that I indicated that there were some problems with API toolbars that were fixed in SolidWorks 2008 SP4. The toolbars you mention all are programmed through the API internally since they are add-ins You should probably update to that SP and the problem may be resolved (I notice you are on 3.1 in your original post).

Thanks,
                    Jim
                      • Persistant toolbars
                        Simon Brooke
                        And thanks to you too Jim,
                        I'll get the IT department to patch us up.

Regards
                        • Persistant toolbars
                          Simon Brooke
                          And thanks to you too Jim,
                          I'll get the IT department to patch us up.

Regards
                          • Persistant toolbars
                            Bill Rose
                            Hello Jim,

In this thread, I mentioned having the same type of problem. I have been on SP 4 since it was released and I can confirm the problem remains. The 3D Control toolbar does not stay put, it always jumps down and starts a new toolbar row. This was not an issue in SWx 2007.....Bill
                              • Persistant toolbars
                                Jim Wilkinson
                                In this thread, I mentioned having the same type of problem. I have been on SP 4 since it was released and I can confirm the problem remains. The 3D Control toolbar does not stay put, it always jumps down and starts a new toolbar row. This was not an issue in SWx 2007.....Bill[/q

Hi Bill,

I am sorry that I missed that post. Can you please be sure to submit that issue to your reseller as a regression and get it in as an SPR? That way you can track it and we can properly get it assigned to be looked at.

Thanks,
                                Jim
                                  • Persistant toolbars
                                    Bill Rose
                                    Jim,

Will I need the original SPR number as a reference?
                                      • Persistant toolbars
                                        Jim Wilkinson

Bill Rose wrote:

Will I need the original SPR number as a reference?

Hi Bill,

No, you can just submit it as a new issue.

Thanks,
                                        Jim
                                          • Persistant toolbars
                                            Bill Rose
                                            Jim,

OK, I'll do that.

While I have your attention;

Would a toolbar be expected to remain in place at the initial start of the program, before a file has been opened? The 3D toolbar shows at that time and is out of place. Loading a file doesn't make it move to the right spot, you have to do it manually. If you try to move it while a file is loading, SWx will hang and have to be shut down and re-started.......Bill

• Persistant toolbars
                                                Jim Wilkinson

Bill Rose wrote:

Would a toolbar be expected to remain in place at the initial start of the program, before a file has been opened? The 3D toolbar shows at that time and is out of place. Loading a file doesn't make it move to the right spot, you have to do it manually. If you try to move it while a file is loading, SWx will hang and have to be shut down and re-started.......Bill

Hi Bill,

If I understand exactly what you are saying, none of that behavior is expected. Any individual toolbar should only be in one POSITION regardless of whether documents are loaded or not. The visibility (visible or not) of each toolbar is stored individually for 4 different states; no documents loaded, part document, assembly document, and drawing document. So, while the toolbar may have different visibility in these 4 states, it should not have different positions. The toolbar position and the 4 visibility states should be "remembered" between sessions of SolidWorks. The software should definitely not hang if you try to move a toolbar while the software is loading. You should report all these symptoms when submitting the problem as they may all be related.

I'd be curious to hear if anyone else in the forum has a similar problem. If it is not storing the position and visibility properly, there may be some sort of problem saving the information to the registry.

Thanks,
                                                Jim
                                                  • Persistant toolbars
                                                    Blake Dahle
                                                    Jim,

I have also had this problem, or a similiar one in the past. Occasionally a toolbar will drop down and create a new toolbar row, etc. I played around with the positions of the toolbars though and now they all act like they should. I believe, at least in my case, the problem came when switching between the 4 states, if the positions of bars conflicted it would put it in a seemingly random position and post often on a new row.

Blake
                                                      • Persistant toolbars
                                                        Dan Riffell
                                                        It's the same problem that I (and others) brought up over a year ago.
                                                          • Persistant toolbars
                                                            Jim Wilkinson
                                                            Hi All,

If anyone is still having problems with toolbar shifting positions unexpectedly in SolidWorks 2008 SP4 or later, please post some details to this thread about what toolbar(s) are having the problem, where you are trying to place them, and what behavior you are seeing. If you can post pictures or a video, even better.

Hopefully if multiple individuals are having problems we can find a common thread to the problems and try to find a solution.

Thanks,
                                                            Jim
                                                        • Persistant toolbars
                                                          Bill Rose
                                                          Hi Jim,

For me it's only the 3D Controls toolbar, all the other ones behave normally. Is there something different about that toolbar? Like the fact that it's tied to an add-in??

The hang I mentioned is 100% repeatable on my system and other users confrimed the same problem when I posted about some months back. If a file (part, assembly, drawing) is being loaded and a toolbar is moved, SWx hangs,,, forever. Shuting down SWx is the only option.

Here are images of my screen where the 3D Controls toolbar resides both after loading and where I want it to stay;

• Persistant toolbars
                                                              Jim Wilkinson
                                                              Hi Bill,

Bill Rose wrote:

For me it's only the 3D Controls toolbar, all the other ones behave normally. Is there something different about that toolbar? Like the fact that it's tied to an add-in??

This is in fact an add-in toolbar and also, I believe it is an older style add-in toolbar (meaning it uses an older set of APIs than our latest ones). If you go to Tools, Customize and that toolbar is not listed in the Commands to let you drag the icons onto another toolbar, then it is one of these older add-in toolbars. I am not saying that is the cause of the problem, but it could be related. In any case, old style or not, it should not cause this problem unless the maker of the add-in is doing something in their code causing the problem. Again, I would suggest submitting it to your VAR so they can troubleshoot it or get it in to our technical support to troubleshoot so we can track it down as a problem in SolidWorks or a problem in the add-in and get it to the appropriate party to fix.

One thing I do notice from your image is that you have another toolbar to the right of that toolbar. Does the problem still occur if you move that toolbar somewhere else? Also, that toolbar that is to the right appears to have a macro toolbar button in the first position. If that button is not there, does it still occur. Again, if either of these situations do occur, it is a defect and should not happen and should be reported. I am just trying to give a little input as to what looks a bit different about your setup that might be the cause of the incorrect behavior.

The hang I mentioned is 100% repeatable on my system and other users confrimed the same problem when I posted about some months back. If a file (part, assembly, drawing) is being loaded and a toolbar is moved, SWx hangs,,, forever. Shuting down SWx is the only option.

Does this hang happen when trying to move ANY toolbar or only the 3D Controls toolbar? I tried to reproduce it here with a core SolidWorks toolbar and it did not happen.

Thanks,
                                                              Jim
                                                                • Persistant toolbars
                                                                  Bill Rose
                                                                  Hi again Jim,

Yes, the 3D Controls toolbar is grayed out in the Tools|Customize list and does not appear under the Commands tab.

I will try to submit this to our VAR soon but I'm (very) remote and I would usually get the guys at corporate to submit a problem when I find one. Everybody is busy now and I'll need to get in contact myself when I get a chance.

I tried a number of different toolbar locations when I first discovered this problem and nothing changed. I just tried moving the View toolbar from the right of the 3D Controls toolbar to a row below. There was a large space to the right of the 3D toolbar when I shut down SWx. When I loaded SWx again the one I moved was still on the second row and there was still a large gap to the right but the 3D toolbar created a third row (see image). I just recently added that macro button, this problem predates that icon by many months.

>> Does this hang happen when trying to move ANY toolbar or only the 3D Controls toolbar? <<

I loaded SWx and let it finish, no file open. I went to File|Recent and clicked on an assembly. While it was loading the assembly, I undocked and moved the left-most toolbar in the top row which is the Standard toolbar. SWx 2008 SP4.0 "hung" instantly. The 3D toolbar was still there on the second row and I didn't touch it.

I re-tested by turning off the 3D Control add-in which removed that old-style toolbar. I moved the View toolbar while an assembly was loading and got the same result.

I need to clarify the term "hang" in this case. The cursor is active with an hourglass in the workspace and a normal arrow over menus and toolbars. I can open menus and move toolbars. I cannot get any menu item to respond, including File|Exit. The progress bar in the lower left corner that shows the file(s) loading progress stops as soon as I move a toolbar. I must use Task Manager to end the SWx session......Bill

• Persistant toolbars
                                                                    Wayne Tiffany
                                                                    Jim,

I just captured and sent in an Rx session of my machine not remembering the position of the Utilities toolbar. It was up in the top between the menu bar and the CM bar and I drug it down into the graphics area. Upon closing SW and reopening SW and starting a new assy, it appears back up in the top.

Per the title (although spelled correctly) of this thread, my email subject was Persistant toolbars forum discussion.

WT
                                                                      • Persistant toolbars
                                                                        Jim Wilkinson
                                                                        Hi All,

We were not able to reproduce the "hang" behavior that Bill posts about. I'd be curious as to whether anyone else has this problem.

We were able to troubleshoot and fix a problem with add-in toolbars not properly remembering their positions between sessions. We believe this problem would only occur if you had run a previous version of SolidWorks on the machine before using SolidWorks 2008. It would not happen for machines that have only had SolidWorks 2008 run on them.

The problem that we were able to fix is fixed in SolidWorks 2008 SP05 so if you are having this problem of add-in toolbars not remembering their position, please try out SolidWorks 2008 SP05 to see if it is fixed.

Thanks,
                                                                        Jim
                                                                          • Persistant toolbars
                                                                            Wayne Tiffany
                                                                            Yes, I do - just verified it again. And I am currently running on the new reg key per the previous issue. I went ahead and stuck with the rebuilt key rather than going back to the old one with the toolbar remembering problem.

I can load SP5 ev to see if it stops the problem, if you wish.

WT
                                                                            • Persistant toolbars
                                                                              Bill Rose
                                                                              Hello Jim,

I loaded SP5.0 EV and tested the toolbar issue. No change for me, it still moves down and creates a new row. Is there a registry entry that could be deleted to force it to create a new location for the 3D toolbar?

I accidentally tested the "hang" problem while trying various ways to get the toolbar to remember where it should be. It still hangs.

Thanks..........Bill
                                                                        • Persistant toolbars
                                                                          Anna Wood

Bill Rose wrote:

Hi Jim,

Here are images of my screen where the 3D Controls toolbar resides both after loading and where I want it to stay;

Bill,

Do you even use any commands on that toolbar for your spaceball? Me and all the guys in the office just turn it off as we never use it.

Cheers,

• Persistant toolbars
                                                                              Bill Rose
                                                                              Hello Anna,

Good question. Yes, I use two of the icons (I could remove the others, if it would let me) -- they are the 'Show Mapping Panel' command and the icon for 'Toggle Sub-part Movement'. The mapping panel gets used once in a great while but it's not in the 3Dcontrol menu so I like having it handy. The 'Toggle...' icon is one I look at fairly often, I don't use it to invoke that command (I have a SpaceExplorer button assigned to that), I use it as an indicator for which mode I'm in. I've got other toolbars across the top anyway so there's no real reason to turn it off, I don't need the space for another toolbar.

Could I live without it? Yeah, probably. But it doesn't work right and since I do use it I'd like not to have to move that toolbar every session.....Bill
                                                        • Persistant toolbars
                                                          Jason Corl
                                                          I just posted this in another thread before seeing this one, my apologies...

Hey Jim,

One of my users has this problem every day, SW2008 sp4.0.

It happens specifically with Add-in toolbars for edrawings and pdmworks. I had him open all of his templates and the toolbars are in the same location for all file types. When he restarts they are moved down by two rows (does not use command manager, has them located at top left of screen, pdmworks on top, edrawings below.

He also has the issue of his background colors changing every time he starts SW. He likes white background and has to change it everyday. Is there a solution to this?

Thanks,
                                                            • Persistant toolbars
                                                              Jim Wilkinson
                                                              Hi Jason,

As I posted earlier, we did find an additional problem with Add-in toolbars that could cause this type of behavior. Specifically, we were able to reproduce it with the PDMWorks and Electrical toolbars and the problem we were able to reproduce has been fixed in SolidWorks 2008 SP5. This problem could affect other add-in toolbars as well. It would only happen

I understand from Bill's post that he is still seeing a problem related to an add-in toolbar in SP5 EV, so obviously we haven't tackled all the problems yet. The hard part is trying to reproduce the individual issues so we can troubleshoot and fix them.

Thanks,
                                                              Jim
                                                                • Re: Persistant toolbars
                                                                  Peter De Vlieger

I only just found this thread.

When Solidworks crashes it's not uncommon to suddenly having some toolbars floating around after the restart. With a crash I mean any unexpected or unwarranted shut down of the program no matter if SW recognizes it as a problem or not.

The ones I noticed floating are mainly those for the routing add-in. Considering that I never use the electrical part and have no use for the tubing one it is kind of irritating to have to deal with it especially after already having a SW crash.

By the way, I have seen this in ever release since I have started using Solidworks back in the spring of '09.

Additional it can happen that some toolbars that I never use aren't floating but are snapped to the far left or far right of the screen.

Also that toolbars I do use are no longer located in the place I put them. It's not uncommon when using 3 toolbars that have been placed on one line for instance to start to take up 3 lines. Any time, no matter how little, spend on putting the GUI back as wanted, needed, is time that is lost and makes the user's life a tad more fustrating.

In short, toolbars seem to be mercurial in nature.

Now there's only so many shortcut keycommands on can use, besides my experience tells me it's not uncommon for them to forget what macro they should be running or where it's located although I never change the place they can be found. The "ribbon" has it's limitations as well as de facto slows down work flow y introducing extra mouse movements and extra clicks of anyone who uses more then a handful of commands so why in 2015 there is still no way to LOCK down the toolbar positions is beyond me.

Jim Wilkinson

Hi Peter,

Unfortunately, even if we do add the functionality to "lock" toolbars, it isn't necessarily going to protect against the problem you are describing. By the very nature of the shutdown being "unexpected", there is the potential chance that something bad happens to the registry data where the toolbar and other information about SOLIDWORKS is stored. We try to protect against that by writing the registry data as options or the UI setup is changed, but not all of it is fully in our control since toolbars and other things are standard Microsoft functions, not our own.

I would advise that you use the Copy Settings Wizard to save your UI setup to an external file. That way, if you encounter the problem you mention, you can simply restore the UI from the file rather than having to spend time moving things around.

Thanks,

Jim

Peter De Vlieger

Jim,

Thank you for the reply and the clarification about how things work internally toolbar registery wise.

I can understand that it is convenient, cheaper - faster, to rely on standard MS functions instead of making ones own but this showcases that relying on a 3rd party, in this case MS, for the basic functions of something is never a good thing because you are no longer in full control of your own product.  Having said that, I do understand that there's nothing either of us can do about it because the powers that be don't care as long as it works the majority of the time.

Have a nice one

Peter