2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 9, 2008 4:19 PM by Svetlana Antiperovitch

PDMWorks Enterprise common assemblies for each project

Svetlana Antiperovitch
      We don't use Enterprise. It is in close future. Our company bought and installed it and did not move on yet.

We still on our ancient method - have all the files and library on local hard drives.

I have common files under each contract directory. Each contract has few folders. Common files stored right under those folders. No folder for them.

Let say instrument sub assembly was used on 4 general arrangements. Four times.
      I have it under contract directory. It used in each folder under this contract.

How do you store common files?

Do I have to put instrument sub assembly into each sub folder with unique name?

Pressure gauge assembly is same for pump assembly and for storage tank assembly. Used many times. Same material. Same arrangement. Same valves. I liked to keep it as common file. If valve changed it is so fast to use one file for all. Rather than going into each folder and change it 4 times.
        • PDMWorks Enterprise common assemblies for each project
          Erik Balle
          Lana,
          You can keep your common assemblies or parts in a common folder. The assemblies that use the common assembly will reference the last place that it found the assembly. You can re-point the referenced files of a assembly in SolidWorks. Click open file and left click once on the assembly that has the common assembly or parts that you want to redirect the path of to the common folder. Click on the References button on the lower right corner of the open dialog box. Double click on the assembly or part that you want to change the reference to and browse to a new location for the referenced file (in you case the assembly in the common folder).
          If you only have a few files to have the assembly to re-point to a new location, you can also first open the common files and then open the assembly that you want to reference that new location, the assembly will always look for files already opened in RAM first, then where it was last saved and so on. Once you have the assemblies re-pointing to the common folder you can check the assembly into the PDM Vault.