16 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2008 6:31 PM by Matt McKendrick

Mystery sketch lines nuisance

Matt McKendrick
      Every now and then, say 10% of the time, I create a sketch of some closed shape such as a rectangle, and I get these tiny, little vestage sketch lines propagating out from one of the corner intersections. They are only visible if I zoom way, way in. I don't realize they are there until I try to extrude, sweep, cut, etc., and of course the feature fails, or it tries to extrude-thin or some crap like that. I would be the first to admit that I may be doing something bone-headed here, although it is nothing obvious to my observation, but is anyone else here having this occur? Just another thing in the list of minor annoyances. See attached.
        • Mystery sketch lines nuisance
          Tim Mix
          Hey Matt,
          I am glad I am not the only one. This almost occurrs on a daily basis here. It drives me nuts especially when try to extrude and it says that I have an open contour. Anyway I am not sure why but it does it.
          Anyway just thought I'd let you know I feel your pain!
          Cheers!
          Tim
            Scott Samborn
            I get that every now and again, too. Since it is only after you have tried to make a feature and it fails that you realize it is happening it is hard to observe the cause.

However, I suspect it has to do with the two ways that lines are created (Click-Click vs. Click-Drag-Release) and a touchy mouse button (Notice I am blaming the software and hardware - because it couldn't be the user ;-).
              i had the same problem a couple of times in 08, i don't remember having this problem in 07.
                Charles Culp
                Matt. Watch carefully next time you do it. I think you will find that you are double clicking "improperly".

It is caused by a mix of two things. If you end a line at a pre-existing point, it will automatically end the line segment. You are probably double clicking to end the segment, which is unnecessary (yes, I know it is habit, I do it all the time too).
                If you drag the mouse while doing this, you will thus create a new line using the "single click + drag" method. That method is click+hold, make line, unclick. This is what creates that new tiny line.
                    Scott Samborn
                    Charles,
                    I agree - that is what I was trying to convey (only I was trying to be too nice and not call it a PICNIC error - Problem In Chair Not In Computer).
                      Matt McKendrick
                      Charles,

Most of the time, including this instance, I single click to each point, I hardly ever click-hold drag. So if I were making a rectangle with lines, it would be click, move, click, move, click, move, click, move, click on the start point. If it were err in the manner you suggest, wouldn't I have a break in the continuity of the sketch? Instead, one of my click and releases is generating 2 line seemingly simultaneously and in different directions from the same point. Very unusual to say the least. Thanks for the input, however. I appreciate it.
                      Matt, I sketch like you and I have the same problem. When it happens it is always at the end of the chain where I click on the start of the first line to end the last line. I think it is the mouse I am using. It is a cheap Logitech using Microsoft drivers that came with Windows XP.
                        Charles Culp
                        Matt,

To clarify. Yes, you click move click to typically create a line. That is what "causes" the problem. Basically, you're holding down the button too long when you finish your last line. I do it too, all the time.

Click+hold, drag, un-click is simply the mechanism that creates the new line, not your intent for creating the lines you do in fact want.
                          I also have this happen to me once in a while. I never double-click or click and hold to draw lines, and when I FINISH a sketch why would I want to draw another line from that point when it's a closed profile? SW never does this with arcs or any other sketch tools that I have noticed, only lines and it's always at the closing point so I know where to go.

For those that don't believe this is true than WHY would the sketch be FULLY defined when I delete the tiny little line that can't be seen until SW says you can't extrude it. ITS A BUG. This never happens to me at any point except the end, why not other places?

I don't disagree with the prolonged mouse click or hold... But it is a bug and tends to happen for me in every other release. Never had it happen in SW07,05,03, and now it's back in SW08.

How can I go Years without this happening and then multiple times week after week when I do the same thing every time?

PLEASE EXPLAIN
                              Daniel Eelman
                              I get this now and then as well, using SW2007 sp5.0. This topic was actually discussed a while back. As Charles was trying to explain, you don't need to double click to get this.

Try this:

Open a new sketch and slowly and deliberately draw a triangle using the method of click-release-move, click-release-move, click-release-move, click on start point.

Now do another, only move the mouse a little as you are about to release from your final click. You'll get an extra line segment.

When you speed things up, to work at a real production pace, it is very easy to be a hair off on your release timing, leaving a tiny line. It would be nice if the line command would cancel when you clicked on the start point.
                                  Matt McKendrick
                                  It doesn't happen at the last point. It happens on one of the points in the middle of the chain. Thats why it's so puzzling. I can understand somewhat if it happened on the last point and I strayed off a little before the last mouse click. However, if I was off the point, wouldn't I still have an open chain? When you close a loop using sketch lines, the chain terminates unless you double-click on the end point to restart the sketch line. I opened a sketch to try and replicate the problem. It took 34 tries and I was able to do it. I haven't ruled out some kind of user thing, however, if it is, it is happening at a level that is hard to detect, probably inperceptable. I suspect some kind of bug, but, like I said before, it isn't anything to get our panties in a wad over.