3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2008 11:28 AM by Jeremy Schmidt

read only variables in cards

Jeremy Schmidt
      So I stumbled across something today that makes me a little uneasy. Is there anything that prevents a SW user from modifying a custom property in SW and therefore modifying the variable values in the database? If there is no way to lock this down, what is the point of being able to make the variable read only on the card? For example, we do not want our users manually changing digital signitures generated through workflow. But if they can just open the file and modify the custom property, they are able to overwrite the data. Someone please tell me that I'm missing something here.
        • read only variables in cards
          First of all if a document is a stage where is signed the user must not be able to checkout the document and therefore he can't make modifications. Also if in card the values are read only even if the user can make a modification in sw file the data base value is not modified. There is a problem that are diferent values in file from data base.
              Jeff Sweeney

if the user can make a modification in sw file the data base value is not modified..

Really? I cannot reproduce this. Would be pretty swell if that was true.

My feeling on this topic has always been that PDMWE tracks who did what to every document. So if a user did change a field he shouldn't you can look at older versions and see that someone [and you know who that is] changed it and when they did.

Then the beating may commence!

Jeremy Schmidt
                  I can't reproduce that either. Sure you can find out who did it sometime down the road when the mistake is eventually caught. And then you could spend some more time trying to figure out what other documents that person messed up in the same way. And then you could spend some more time going back and fixing them all. But in my opinion, if the value is supposed to be READ only, then it should be read only, not half read only.