AnsweredAssumed Answered

360 Tips and tricks...

Question asked by 1-9C36HC on Aug 26, 2008
Latest reply on Dec 2, 2008 by Mark Kaiser
So to dig a little deeper, here are some things you may or may not know that can help:

1. Model Edge Quality - also known as the tessellation of the part can sometimes seem facetted especially on large cylindrical edges. The smoothness of this is controlled in SolidWorks via Tools/Options/Performance/Image Quality. That is the higher the setting in SolidWorks, the smoother the model will be opened up into PV360.

2. Changing Gamma - while you have the final render window open and on a completed rendering (or any of the ones in the que) you can change the Gamma by simply using the up and down arrows on your keyboard.

3. Copying Material - You can use the familiar Cntrl + C and Cntrl +V keyboard commands to copy and paste materials from one part to another. You do this by selecting the face of the component you which to copy the material from and then do a Cntrl + C, then place your cursor over the part that you wish to paste material to and click and then do a Cntrl + V. keep in mind that the drop modes at the upper left (Face, Body, Part, Assembly) apply when selecting.

4. Partial dynamic Render - now I'm not sure where this will end up in the final released product, but there is the ability to partially render the preview window. Currently it happens in a rather undiscoverable way - Do this - Launch a final render and wait for it to complete. Now with the final render window open, draw a rectangle around the area of the render that you only want to concentrate on. You see a orange dotted-line box in your final render window. Now move the final render window out of the way and look at your preview window. There only the area you designated to render is previewing. This can be very useful when you have a complex model but only want to apply and experiment with material on a certain portion of it. THIS FEATURE WAS REMOVED STARTING SP2

5. Hide and Show - If you right mouse button click in the preview area over a component of you your model you get a RMB menu with show/hide. What you might not have discovered is that the drop mode buttons (face, body, part, assembly) actually respect what you pick so if you want to just hide the top face of that component to see the inside, you can do that.

6. What is The Appearance button? - I have to admit, it didn't know either when I first use the product months ago. Just know that what it is, is a way for selecting a group of common materials in your scene. If you apply that same material to multiple items (faces, body, part etc.) in your scene, if you have "Appearance" selected as the drop mode, then change one component (where you click with your mouse) changes all other "linked" materials. Perhaps the label for this button should be renamed to something like "Link Matl." etc. What do you think?

7. Customizing your PV setup - just know that however you've set up your main PV window, Presets window for materials, environment window and Render settings window. When you exit PV360, those positions will be remembered. I find it effective to position my main window in the upper left, with the material preset window to the right, the environments along the lower left to right and the render settings to the lower right.

Maybe you've found some of your own, if so please share.

Outcomes