19 Replies Latest reply on Nov 10, 2010 5:30 AM by Deepak Gupta

Text on a Grid

Paul McGarr
      I have the need to engrave text on 96 precise locations. The part I am creating has a grid of 96 squares at 9mm spacing. At the center of each of these squares I need to place 96 different pieces of text. The text needs to be perfectly centered in the rectangle in both directions. What would be the easiest way to acomplish this? Right now I see myself having to create a horizontal line in the center of each rectangle and creating a seperate note as well. I can attach each note to the line and use center justify. I can get through this, but I wonder if there is an easy way. Sometimes I create parts that have this 384 times, and that would be quite a chore.

The text is simply a location label. A1, A2, A3; B1, B2, B3, all the way to H12. A-H being the row and 1-12 being the column.

Does this make sense? Can anybod help?
        • Text on a Grid
          Eddie Cyganik

Paul,

I do not know of a way for SolidWorks to do this for you but I do have a SolidWorkAround:

Place your first piece of text
          Next, figure out the necessary spacing and then copy away.
          Finally, edit text as required.
            • Text on a Grid
              Paul McGarr
              That's a bunch easier than placing 96 different texts. Wow I feel stupid. Thanks Eddie.
              • Text on a Grid
                Paul McGarr
                Crap, that doesn't work. Have you tried this? Maybe I am doing it wrong...

I created a sketch on my part at one extreme corner of the array. I created a horizontal centerline and placed the text (note) on that line, center justified. I figured I'd then use the linear sketch pattern to copy the text and line to the remaining 95 locations. No luck; the note refuses to be part of the linear pattern. I suppose I could disolve the text (not sure of proper term) and then copy it, but then I'd lose the ability to edit the text.

Am I missing something?
              • Text on a Grid
                Charles Culp
                If Eddie's suggestion doesn't work, I don't think there is any way to pattern the text. You can pattern the lines, and then create text on each one, but that's all that I know.
                  • Text on a Grid
                    Mark Kaiser
                    Paul, I see one workaround for you.

1. Create the text in the sketch, then make the text a block (select text, then tools>block>make). You can pattern the blocks. You'll end up with a bunch of blocks under your sketch in the FMT. You'll now have to explode each block and edit the text, that'll be the fun part. You can engrave with this sketch, may be time consuming, or maybe start more sketches and covert text from the first/base sketch.
                      • Text on a Grid
                        Paul McGarr
                        Thanks Mark. That'll work too, but I don't know if it would be faster than placing the text individually as Charles said. I will try both ways.

I dread the design review when the aesthetics team says "can we change the font height". There are times when I need to engrave 384 locations and I can't imagine having to work this way.

Keep the ideas coming. Is it possible I have found a software limitation? Don't people need this type of functionality for designing fixtures, etc?

• Text on a Grid
                            Mark Kaiser
                            You might post this problem in the macro section. I'm totally unfamilar with macros, but maybe a macro could handle this.

Did you submit an enhancement request, I know they don't get much respect, but if you don't submit it, it won't be heard. Can you tell I'm usually an optimist?
                              • Text on a Grid
                                Paul McGarr
                                Mark,

I haven't submitted an enhancement request, but I will do that once this thread dies down a bit. I want to make sure there isn't another way to do it before I submit. It's looking like there's no easy way to do this, but I am too new to SolidWorks to be confident that I'm not missing something simple. I've been wrong before! This seems so trivial.

A macro would probably handle this too. Another good idea. I will look into that as well, but with no experience, I don't know that I'll have the best approach, nevermind having no macro writing experience.

Thanks again for all your help.
                        • Text on a Grid
                          Charles Culp
                          Interesting. I always put my text on a line. When you do that you can't just copy the text. It only works if text is not attached to a line. Sounds good to me.
                            • Text on a Grid
                              Paul McGarr
                              Eddie, show me. I'm not asking you to make all the text edits obviously, but please show me how to array my text. I can't make it happen and I was willing to accept that until you showed me exactly what I need.

Attached...
                                • Text on a Grid
                                  Mark Kaiser
                                  Eddie, I can't figure out how to array text sketch enitities either, any more clues?

Paul,

I have another not so attractive work around idea for you. Create a library of extruded letters and numbers. Using configurations and suppressing features, you could contain the entire alphabet in one part file. Insert this part into your mold and mate/pattern it as you would any other part in an assembly. To engrave, start a sketch and covert the parts edges. Engrave with this sketch. I don't know if this would be any easier down the road if you had to change fonts or not.

• Text on a Grid
                                  Paul McGarr
                                  Charles, I can't get it to work with or without a line. Even if I could do it without a line, I would be stuck because I need the text to center justify based on something known.

I wonder why you can do it though, and I can not. I wonder why Eddie can do it and I can not.

In any case, it obviously doesn't work well because I'm not alone. I submitted an enhancement request. We'll see. The problem is that I need to do this now, not maybe sometime in the future.

I'm going to do this one manually I guess. Better to take a long time doing it then to take a long time trying to figure out a fast way.
                                    • Text on a Grid
                                      Steven Dinsdale
                                      Paul, I also am able to do it (without a line.) When I tried on your part however, I was unable to with or without a line. Have you tried creating a new part to test if it has something to do with you model?

Steven
                                        • Text on a Grid
                                          Paul McGarr
                                          Ok I tried it on a new part and without a line I can make it "work". I can probably redo some stuff on my model to make it work, but I don't see the benefit. I can copy the text, but not multiple times as in a pattern. I could copy over and over I guess, but that's not my point.

I have no idea what Eddie did to get all that text so fast in less it wasn't really that fast. In any case, I'll just make it happen and hope I find a solution for next time. I still can't believe this is not possible.

Thanks to everybody for your help