1 2 3 First Previous 99 Replies Latest reply on Sep 19, 2008 5:22 PM by Jeff Norfolk

SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase

Dwight Livingston

1 SYMBOLS
      1.1. [deleted]
      1.2. Create feature to embed gtol.sym custom symbols in drawing files.
      1.3. Provide user control of gtol.sym file location under Tools - Options.
      2 TABLE FORMAT - for all table types
      2.1. Provide adjusted row height as lines in a cell are added or subtracted by word-wrap, such that the cell with the most lines has the default (or specified) vertical cell padding.
      2.2. Create option in table properties for user-specified vertical cell padding.
      2.3. Create feature to disable vertical cell padding and specify a constant row height, regardless of lines per cell, to be applied either row-by-row or for entire table.
      2.4. Create option in table properties for user specified defaults for vertical and horizontal cell padding.
      2.5. Create option in column properties for user to lock Column Width. When table is saved as a template, this option would not be available.
      2.6. Create option in row properties for user to lock Row Height. When table is saved as a template, this option would not be available.
      2.7. Create capability to split a table for continuation to left or right.
      2.8. Create capability to split a table for continuation on another sheet.
      3 TABLE FUNCTION - for all table types
      3.1. Change SW tables to have basic spreadsheet functions, without MS Excel.
      3.2. In SW tables, provide ability to advance the cell focus using the tab key.
      4 PROPERTIES
      4.1. Provide a view scale property for annotation links.
      4.2. Provide an "SW-Length" property that must be assigned in the model by selection of a single curve (line, arc, circle, spline, or Compcurve.)
      4.3 Create a SW property that will automatically fill in with the BOM Item#
      4.4 Change the Balloon Setting / Style = "None" so that when inserted into a note, the item number aligns correctly with the rest of the note text.
      5 CENTERMARKS
      5.1. Create option to add a new centermark to an existing centermark group.
      5.2. Create option to drag a lone centermark, or a centermark in a centermark group, and attach it to a new hole while retaining witness line attachments.
      6 [deleted]
      7 GD&T
      7.1. When a datum symbol is attached to an arc or circle of sufficient radius, conform base of attachment triangle to that arc or circle.
      7.2. Allow a datum symbol to be attached to the long leg of a leader line.
      7.3. [deleted]
      8.1. Create feature for view naming when in drawing mode.
      8.2. Create a view rotation option that locks a one user-specified axis.
      8.3. When the configuration of a view's object is changed, then change the configuration in all dependent views.
      8.4. Add ability to change "Sheet Scale" from a Drawing View Property Manager.
      8.5. Provide option in view properties window to add view title and/or view scale to view.
      9 HOLE CALLOUTS
      9.1. Provide hole callouts for holes in non-planar surfaces.
      10 HOLE TABLES
      10.1. Create option to locate symbol at the center of the hole
      10.2. Create option to show user-specified text for tag.
      10.3. Create option to show dual dimensions for location and size in hole table.
      11 PRINT
      11.1. Create option to control PDF and export print quality.
      12 NOTES
      12.1. Provide consistent line height in notes with embedded balloons and symbols.
      12.2. Create option to balloon the outline numbers in outlined notes.
      12.3. Create convenient tool to convert lower case to all caps.
      13 DIMENSION
      13.1 Create option in autodimension to place dimensions outside the nearest edge, rather than all on one side and rather than all at top or bottom.
      13.2 Create option in dimension properties to align dimension direction with an edge.
      13.3 Provide document option to display chamfer dimensions in a single call-out using a one-leader DIM X DIM or DIM X ANGLE format. For example <------------ .25 X 45o.
      13.4 Provide capability to drag radius dimension of a toroid or a toroidal segment to either side of view.
      13.5 Show gap between extension line and feature edge when dimension is dragged to opposite end of edge.
      13.6 Add mulitjog option for radius, diameter, and hole call-outs.
      14 ITEM BALLOONS
      14.1 Create capacity to divide an item quantity among balloons in more than one view.
      14.2 Create option in item balloon properties to edit quantity from 0 up to the total number of instances of that item unclaimed in other views. Where the quantity is zero, show item number in parenthesis without quantity or balloon. For example: <-------(ITEM 3)
      14.3 Provide icon for item in assembly drawing to show that all instances are accounted for in balloon quantites.
      14.4 Provide the ability to balloon sub assemblies that are inserted after the BOM is created using the Top assembly. ie 3.9 from BOM in a seperate sub assembly.
      15 DRAWING EXPORT
      15.1. Provide option to set origin for DXF export.

Changes from last

4.4 added. This will allow the user to have a note that will read something like "REMOVE PAPER LINER FROM ITEM 3 BEFORE INSTALLATION." and have the
      item number update if the BOM is edited an the component's item number is changes.

section 6 DIMENSION FORMAT was deleted and the one item moved to 13.6
        • 1. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
          Dwight Livingston
          I suppose some here are wondering where this drawing Enhancements List is going. I wonder that myself, but I'm willing to propose a plan. I propose that the goal be a Drawing ER Blitz. We will put every item on our list up in SW's Enhancements Requests section. We will then recruit everyone we can on this forum to go there and push every one of our items.

I think this might work if it's a pretty good list. If it's a cheesy list, then people won't be so interested. What I propose is to go through a couple of phases before we take it to the ER section, so we make this a solid list of ERs that everyone can get behind.

First we go through a review phase, which is what this thread is about. Please post ways we might either improve an item or disqualify it. Here's some suggestions . . .

Item X is not clear.
          Item X can be better said [INSERT CORRECTED WORDING]
          Item X can be done in SW2009 by [INSERT DIRECTIONS]
          Item X does not conform to ASME. [INSERT REFERENCE]
          Item X will be costly to implement becasue [INSERT REASON]
          Item X would work more like other SW features by [INSERT NEW ER]
          Item X is narrowly focused and would be better implemented as a more general feature [INSERT NEW ER]

Or add anything you think might improve/change/destroy items on the list. However, please don't comment on whether you think an item is, or is not, important or useful to you. That's for the next phase.

I suggest we close this review phase on September 17th. I'll post a final version of the list then.

Next we vote on items. I don't think we have to rank the items, just determine if they stay on the list because they are popular or get booted off the list because they raise little interest, are a waste of SW resources to develop, or clutter up the SW interface.

We don't have many good voting options for the forum. maybe we can use something off site which would be annonymous. We might also vote by posting. Posting is not annonymous, but it will be easy to tally and harder to rig. Which would folks prefer? I propose each post show what items are voted FOR and what items are voted AGAINST. Unmentioned items go unmentioned. Each item will then get scored plus 1 for every FOR vote and minus 1 for every AGAINST.

That raises the question of what score is needed to stay on the list. I have no idea. Certainly above zero. I suggest that an item needs to score 30% of the total number of voters. Voting will close, say, October 8.

Then we'll get the items on the Enhancement Requests section and let people know that they are there. We might put a special word at the start of the ER to help people find all our ERs. Can we do that? Is this part going to work? I do not have a handle on the specifics of the ER section, except I don't like it much. If anyone has a better idea of how to blitz the ER section, please post. If fact any ideas on how this might go, please post.

Thanks
          • 2. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
            Jennifer Bahnsen
            I like this idea. I'll start looking through the list.

As far as voting is concerned, how about one of the free online survey sites like Zoomerang or Survey Monkey?
            • 3. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
              Dwight Livingston
              Jennifer

I looked at Zoomerang and Survey Monkey, and they woul dcertainly do the job. I liked Survey Monkey's website much more, becasue for me they seemed more helpful and I learned more about what they are offereing. Either way I'd have to shell out a little money to do this. I don't mind doing that, but a free use of a service was offered on the last thread, so that's be good.

Thanks
              • 4. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                Dwight Livingston

John L'huillier wrote:

Another with ballooning or adding annotations would be if you have subassemblies set to not show child parts in the BOM, then when we balloon it, the custom properties should come from the subassembly and not the child part.

I checked this, and you're right, the Link to Property / Use custom properties from = "component to which the annotation is attached" option gets you the part property, not the subassembly property. Hey, a component is a component, not just a part. Would it better to just add a fifth option and change number four, so that you pick between . . .

"part to which the annotation is attached"

"sub-assembly to which the annotation is attached"

The latter would be greyed out if not available, and would always point to the highest level subassembly if available.

Would that work better?

• 5. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                  Brian Cayer
                  Dwight,

For the benefit of those of us whose memory might not be as sharp as others due to time erosion I think a link to the 100+ thread that started this one is in order. I will see if I can remember how to attach a link.

History ??

OK that finally worked.

Now if you mean to attach your reply to John to:

14.4 Provide the ability to balloon sub assemblies that are inserted after the BOM is created using the Top assembly. ie 3.9 from BOM in a seperate sub assembly.

I say YES!

But I would like to see the ability to balloon Sub assembly's and parts on following sheets to the Top level BOM on Sheet 1 within a custom note linked to the custom properties of the Sub or part with :

This should not be so hard to do and it would make things really easy for large assembly's

Regards,
                  • 6. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                    Dwight Livingston
                    Brian

Thanks for putting up that links from the last thread. It was time to get out of it; I was getting some strange reformatting of the posts.

• 7. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                      Dwight Livingston

Matthew Lorono wrote:

Did my all around symbol request get removed? This is needed for dims, geotols and notes. It's use for these is supported by ASME. (maybe I just didn't re-read this list?)

It was out, but I'll put it back in. I thought I was the only one supporting it, and talking to people in the forum and a few drafters here in our shop, I'm now leary of using it for anything besides welding and tolerances. I thought I put up a post about that decision, and perhaps I did and it dissappeared, but I can't find it now.

If you can quote ASME as to its use for anythign besides tolerance or welding, I'd be interested.

Anyway, my next post should have it back on the list.
                      • 8. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                        Dwight Livingston

1 SYMBOLS
                        1.1. Create option to attach the ASME symbol for ALL AROUND to the bend of a leader.
                        1.2. Create feature to embed gtol.sym custom symbols in drawing files.
                        1.3. Provide user control of gtol.sym file location under Tools - Options.
                        2 TABLE FORMAT - for all table types
                        2.1. Provide adjusted row height as lines in a cell are added or subtracted by word-wrap, such that the cell with the most lines has the default (or specified) vertical cell padding.
                        2.2. Create option in table properties for user-specified vertical cell padding.
                        2.3. Create feature to disable vertical cell padding and specify a constant row height, regardless of lines per cell, to be applied either row-by-row or for entire table.
                        2.4. Create option in table properties for user specified defaults for vertical and horizontal cell padding.
                        2.5. Create option in column properties for user to lock Column Width. When table is saved as a template, this option would not be available.
                        2.6. Create option in row properties for user to lock Row Height. When table is saved as a template, this option would not be available.
                        2.7. Create capability to split a table for continuation to left or right.
                        2.8. Create capability to split a table for continuation on another sheet.
                        3 TABLE FUNCTION - for all table types
                        3.1. Change SW tables to have basic spreadsheet functions, without MS Excel.
                        3.2. In SW tables, provide ability to advance the cell focus using the tab key.
                        4 PROPERTIES
                        4.1. Provide a view scale property for annotation links.
                        4.2. Provide an "SW-Length" property that must be assigned by selection of a single curve (line, arc, circle, spline, or Compcurve.)
                        4.4 Change the Balloon Setting / Style = "None" so that when inserted into a note, the item number aligns correctly with the rest of the note text.
                        5 CENTERMARKS
                        5.1. Create option to add a new centermark to an existing centermark group.
                        5.2. Create option to drag a lone centermark, or a centermark in a centermark group, and attach it to a new hole while retaining witness line attachments.
                        6 [deleted]
                        7 GD&T
                        7.1. When a datum symbol is attached to an arc or circle of sufficient radius, conform base of attachment triangle to that arc or circle.
                        7.2. Allow a datum symbol to be attached to the long leg of a leader line.
                        7.3. [deleted]
                        8.1. Create feature for view naming when in drawing mode.
                        8.2. Create a view rotation option that locks a one user-specified axis.
                        8.3. When the configuration of a view's object is changed, then change the configuration in all dependent views.
                        8.4. Add ability to change "Sheet Scale" from a Drawing View Property Manager.
                        8.5. Provide option in view properties window to add view title and/or view scale to view.
                        9 HOLE CALLOUTS
                        9.1. Provide hole callouts for holes in non-planar surfaces.
                        10 HOLE TABLES
                        10.1. Create option to locate symbol at the center of the hole
                        10.2. Create option to show user-specified text for tag.
                        10.3. Create option to show dual dimensions for location and size in hole table.
                        11 PRINT
                        11.1. Create option to control PDF and export print quality.
                        12 NOTES
                        12.1. Provide consistent line height in notes with embedded balloons and symbols.
                        12.2. Create option to balloon the outline numbers in outlined notes.
                        12.3. Create convenient tool to convert lower case to all caps.
                        13 DIMENSION
                        13.1 Create option in autodimension to place dimensions outside the nearest edge, rather than all on one side and rather than all at top or bottom.
                        13.2 Create option in dimension properties to align dimension direction with an edge.
                        13.3 Provide document option to display chamfer dimensions in a single call-out using a one-leader DIM X DIM or DIM X ANGLE format. For example <------------ .25 X 45o.
                        13.4 Provide capability to drag radius dimension of a toroid or a toroidal segment to either side of view.
                        13.5 Show gap between extension line and feature edge when dimension is dragged to opposite end of edge.
                        13.6 Add mulitjog option for radius, diameter, and hole call-outs.
                        14 ITEM BALLOONS
                        14.1 Create capacity to divide an item quantity among balloons in more than one view.
                        14.2 Create option in item balloon properties to edit quantity from 0 up to the total number of instances of that item unclaimed in other views. Where the quantity is zero, show item number in parenthesis without quantity or balloon. For example: <-------(ITEM 3)
                        14.3 Provide icon for item in assembly drawing to show that all instances are accounted for in balloon quantites.
                        15 DRAWING EXPORT
                        15.1. Provide option to set origin for DXF export.
                        • 9. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                          David Plowman
                          Dwight, et al

You're doing a great job. Thanks.

I've seen it mentioned couple of times but seems to have been missed on your latest list..... Model item dimensions not showing in all views. Depending on which view you drew your sketch seems to affect whether you can dimension your drawing. Depending on which way you drew your angle dictates how you view this angle in your drawing. All these should be basic functions.

Haven't figured out how to manipulate the feature dimensions to use them consistantly as model dimensions yet. If I'm making hard work of this then please let me know where I'm going wrong.

I mentioned a few things in a previous post. (Don't know how to link to thread so just cut and pasted..)

"I have problems with Geometric tolerencing snapping to far off points when you select a leader.
                          I also cannot get Machining symbols to attach to leaders on diameter dimensions on shafts. I have to draw a line and attach it to that. Preferably I dimension in a different view but to make drawings look the same as old CAD drawings I have sometimes had to cheat."

DaveP

• 10. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                            Dwight Livingston

David Plowman wrote:

Model item dimensions not showing in all views. Depending on which view you drew your sketch seems to affect whether you can dimension your drawing.

If I get you right, this is how it should work. Dimensions should only show in one drawing view. If they show in more than one place on a drawing, you violate double-dimensioning rules, at least according to ASME. You can move them from view to view, by holding down the shift key as you drag the dimension.

Depending on which way you drew your angle dictates how you view this angle in your drawing. All these should be basic functions.

I'm not understanding your problem here. Could you include an image?

Haven't figured out how to manipulate the feature dimensions to use them consistantly as model dimensions yet. If I'm making hard work of this then please let me know where I'm going wrong.

Forgive me, but I'm not understanding this one either. Do you mean manipulate the model dimensions to use them as drawing dimensions? To me, feature dims and model dims would be the same thing.

"I have problems with Geometric tolerencing snapping to far off points when you select a leader.

While editing a drawing, placing a geo tolerance on a leader or any other part of the dimension should put the tolerance frame under the dimension.

I also cannot get Machining symbols to attach to leaders on diameter dimensions on shafts. I have to draw a line and attach it to that. Preferably I dimension in a different view but to make drawings look the same as old CAD drawings I have sometimes had to cheat."

Could you post an image of that also? Would it be like a leader off a leader, or share the diimension leader?

• 11. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                              Dwight Livingston
                              I talked with Richard Doyle this afternoon. He kindly offered to provide a survey for us, to set up the survey using Survey Monkey and gives us a link to it. I think that's pretty good of them.

Naturally SW is looking at this thread to see how it comes out. They are interested in the data, and also they are interested in the process. The ER section is not their only source of material; they use other means and are interested in other ways to collect what users would like to see in the way of improvements. Whether or not it is a worthy model, we shall see.
                              • 12. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                                David Plowman
                                Hi,

The attached is just a simple revolve with an extruded cut at the wide end.

Point 1. model views not displaying model dims
                                I inserted model dimension to Section A-A for the O-Ring Groove. I then used ctrl + drag to copy dimension (I usually use shift + drag but wanted to show you can duplicate dimensions). I then created detail C but could not copy the dimension in to it. nor can you get a model dimesion to appear no matter which order you try etc. I proved that the dimension can be moved on section A-A by moving the grab points to the bottom of the view.

Point 2. Angle location
                                As you can see the 30 is where I would like the dimension to be but to do this you need to go back into the sketch and delete the dimension and create it again in the orientation you would prefer. Madness!

Point 3. Feature Dims
                                I would like to show the cut depth in Detail D but the dimension will not budge.

Point 4. Geometric Leaders
                                In general these are a pain but this particular problem can be really annoying. I have to save a drawing every couple of steps when geomtrically tolerancing as the slightest wrong click can send the leaders off into the distance. If you add the geometric tolerance the default setting is to have no leader. I move the box to where I want it positioned, click the leader box as I wish to add a second tolerance to the other diametre dim and hey presto.

Point 5. Machining symbols
                                In the plan view I have shown the machining symbol attached to the default position which is the circumference and I have shown my work around with a machine symbol attached to a line, this line is not visible once you dimension the OD. I prefer to dimension on the section view but this is not always possible.
                                • 13. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                                  John Lhuillier

Dwight Livingston wrote:

John L'huillier wrote:

Another with ballooning or adding annotations would be if you have subassemblies set to not show child parts in the BOM, then when we balloon it, the custom properties should come from the subassembly and not the child part.

I checked this, and you're right, the Link to Property / Use custom properties from = "component to which the annotation is attached" option gets you the part property, not the subassembly property. Hey, a component is a component, not just a part. Would it better to just add a fifth option and change number four, so that you pick between . . .

"part to which the annotation is attached"

"sub-assembly to which the annotation is attached"

The latter would be greyed out if not available, and would always point to the highest level subassembly if available.

Would that work better?

I would think that if you had the subassembly configuration toggled to not show child parts, then you shouldn't need the option to choose part or subassembly. If you add balloons to that subassembly, they all have the same BOM number so it knows that it's only one part. Our BOM formats are always the "parts only".
                                  • 14. SolidWorks Drawings ER Blitz - Review Phase
                                    John Lhuillier
                                    Item 14.3 already has an icon that shows if everything that is in the BOM has been ballooned. Or is this supposed to be that every piece on an assembly drawing has a balloon assigned to it.
                                    1 2 3 First Previous