Jon Califf

Problem With Multiple Configurations

Discussion created by Jon Califf on Aug 21, 2008
Latest reply on Aug 29, 2008 by Shawn Bondele
So the Situation is this

We are playing around with some standard casework fixtures in solidworks. The Idea being to have multiple configurations of a single fixture that can be inserted into a assembly. For example, one configuration would have 2 doors and a drawer, one with 1 door and no drawers, etc.

I seem to be having a variety of problems with this. There seems to be no easy way to get multiple copies in Varying sizes of the same configuration. IF i want a configuration that is 27 inches wide and then another that is 35 inches wide of the same configuration...do i really have to "save as" and create seperate files to modify to different sizes and then insert into a assembly?
This process becomes more and more confusing the more complex it gets.

For example im looking at one room that im trying to draw up as a test, that room has 4 different versions of one base cabinet...2 of another...and then 3 different upper cabinets..

so for that to work...it seems that i have to save out 9 indeividual files and then insert them into the assembly and then modify the sizes?
This dosent seem right to me.

The other problem im having is actually saving the Files out to be completely seperate entities. Inevitably something breaks. Using the Pack and go function does not work, and using "save as" is confusing, but i try it multiple ways and it seems to work sometimes but not others? If i rename the file my equations break, if i dont select virtual components the fixture breaks. Its frustrating because im not sure if i am doing it wrong or if the functionality just really isnt there for this to work.

Any suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Outcomes