15 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2017 1:05 PM by Mark Summers

corrugated sheet metal

Kyle Mudd

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone knew if there was an add in or anything in reference to corrugated sheet metal I will eventually need to put some in my models and would hate to have to create them individually?

• Re: corrugated sheet metal
          Dave Bear

Hi Kyle,

Just a wild guess here but are you talking Australian profile corrugated sheet metal?

If so, I couldn't find a material add-in but you could just as easily create this profile and save it. Then all you ever have to do is extrude it to the desired lengths you need. Just use linear pattern (spacing 762mm) for walls or roofs where the sheets are the same lengths obviously. Most commonly used thicknesses are .35 and .42 for walls and roofs in sheds and patios, but the sheets can be obtained even thicker than this. Hope this helps.

Corrugated Iron Spec.jpg

Dave.

Dave Bear

Hi Kyle,

What do you mean by 'surface' exactly? When you extrude this basic profile you will have your 'surface' area. Or am I missing something?

Dave.

Dave Bear

Are you just saying that you need to see the surface face Kyle Mudd?

Here it is. Derived from the profile I gave you above. It took me all of a couple of minutes, and I'm a complete novice at this CAD stuff lol

Corrugated Sheet.jpg

Let me know..............

Dave.

No Dave, I meant like a surface offset where you can select an entire surface and it will automatically follow that surface on whatever offset that you set it to that's why I was hoping for an add in or a surface tool. I'm about to add insulation to vessels on my model and if I go the route you're showing me I will have to form it  around the vessel and then extrude cut for the flanges on top of making sure that the corrugated sheet metal has the proper curves in it and sheet sizes. And don't worry I'm completely new at this and appreciate all the help I get.

Dave Bear

HI Kyle,

Oh okay, I see what you're getting at now.

Yeah that sort of thing is outta my league at the moment, sorry mate.

Unless anyone else can come up with suggestions..................................

Dave.

John Stoltzfus

Is this picture in the assembly mode.  You should be able to add a surface easily in the part mode.. just select the surface and offset... If you need to you can offset .000" as well

John,

Yes this is in assembly mode but off setting a surface isn't the issue its making a corrugated sheet metal that will off set like a surface also following the radius while distributing the proper amount of bend in the curves of the sheet metal and being able to add different lengths and widths with over lap. I appreciate the help but I believe I'm in way over my head with this idea and it would take way too much time to try to do this without some sort of add in or program written specifically for this.

Elmar Klammer

We do this for cladding. We usually need seam location, number of sheets etc kind of information. Model the cladding with the required curve modeled into it just as it would physically look wrapped around your tank. Make 2 configurations. One is the a mid-surface only configuration (showing the round profile) and another one is a very simplified center surface only with a tab added for thickness. The tab indicates in what direction the thickness of the round profile goes. The trick is to mate the configuration to reference geometry that exists in all three configuration. Then you can switch in and out of the configs without loosing mates. You need to add the weight to the surface configs for proper mass calculation in your asm. Having the simplified configs, makes drawings a cruise and keeps CPU overhead down.

CLADDING PHYSICAL MODEL

CLADDING CTR SURFACE ONLY

CLADDING INSIDE SURFACE AND THICKNESS TAB REFERENCE MODEL

TAB MODELED AT MINIMUM OVERLAP.

ASSEMBLY

Ned Hutchinson

Hi Kyle

tried to give this a go and manage to create curved corrugation that you can move to different radius.

can get it down to R108 and stretch it out almost flat by editing the sketch Center circle Radius

Not sure if its the exact profile you would have?

corrogated curve.png

corrogated curve 1.png

Also attached model

Paul Salvador

Kyle,.. maybe you're wanting to flex/roll them with them pre-cut.. (using flex)?

qrtrpanels-flexed.png

Elmar Klammer

Hi Salvador,

It's a great model. The flex feature will kill you if you put lots of those sheets into an assembly. Locating the part is also tricky since you don't have a defined center. It is better to model the corrugation in the profile sketch with the arc defined. These corrugations with the many small edges and radiuses are a real performance bust. We use the true representation only for a few overall assembly drawing views. Every where else we use only simplified representations. Modeling as sheetmetal has the advantage of making "normal" cuts, but that's more of a theoretical option. No installer would ever do that, unless you roll-form your own sheet and even then....slim chance you need that.

Elmar

Thank you guys for all the help I believe one of these will possibly work I now have to get a little time to try them.

Mark Summers

How about modelling something like thisSM.jpg?