6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 26, 2016 8:00 AM by Leon Whotton

cable tray profiles

Leon Whotton

Hi

I am currently working on a large assembly and need to start laying out some cable tray. The problem i am having is that the generic cable tray profile in 'Routing' is different to the cable tray i want to use, my cable tray has slots etc, and i cannot seem to find any cable tray profiles on the internet that i can use as a weldment.

Am i missing something?

Regards.

Leon.

• Re: cable tray profiles
          John Pagel

Leon,

While I do not have any experience using the Routing add on, I am curious if there is a reason you cannot just draw this the old fashioned way (since Routing doesn't have what you need)?  I would think most cable trays should be able to be done as a single extrusion.  Then, you can add slots as either a linear sketch pattern or a linear feature pattern.

Is there anything specific in your design that is restricting you from drawing this without pre-made profile?

Leon Whotton

Hi John

Thanks for replying, there is nothing stopping me from drawing the old fashioned way, all i was thinking, is that cable tray is so widely used throughout many sectors of industry, i am just surprised that no one has ever shared a configuration of cable tray, with all of the associated parts such as elbows, bridges, T's etc. If someone out there has drawn the required items already it would save me alot of time and effort.

That is why in my original post i thought i might be missing something clearly obvious, as it is so widely used.

John Pagel

I definitely understand what you're getting at.  I don't remember the last time I actually drew a nut or a bolt, these all come out of libraries.  That being said, the problem may be that with cable trays there are about a thousand variants.  So, the question then becomes how exact does your model have to be?  If it has to be exactly dead on in accuracy to the final product, then it would probably be a long shot that it will have been put up by someone else.  Of course, you could always talk to the company you are purchasing it from and ask them for CAD models.  Another source (if it doesn't have to be exact) is McMaster Carr.  They have CAD models of all of their cable tray and basket products and it may be close enough to what you have (or at least it will give you a model to modify).

Leon Whotton

Hi John

It looks as though i will have to draw up the tray and associated parts from scratch, like you suggested there seems to be a quite a varied selection of tray out there, it may just be easier to draw the required parts rather than modifying other to suit.

Thanks for your help anyway John, i will post my drawings on Grabcad so others may benefit.

Alex Campbell-Brunton

Hi Leon.

My advice in this situation would be too make the required changed to the standard SW cable trays with the modifications you need them save them in a new folder location. then when you are routing you can use your new files easily as the parts will already contain the correct mate references and size configurations.

Cheers,

Alex

Your reply was rejected by a moderator. Please edit your reply and resubmit it for approval.

The Cable tray manufacturer in Mumbai Ladder trays & Accessories is the prime requirement for our customers. The wide range of Cable tray manufacturer in India & Ladder Trays is manufactured as per customers requirements and specifications. The products include other accessories like Cross Tee, Tee, Bends, Wall Support Brackets, Cleats, Flanges and Supplied with required hardware of nut- bolts.