8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2016 8:01 PM by Justin Lee

Drafting standards not being applied

Justin Lee

All of a sudden my drafting standards are not being applied.  At one point I had everything setup and working perfectly for more than a year. Sketch lines and dimensions got their custom colors applied, and landed on the proper layer.  Creating new files, everything was setup perfectly.. Now, with no warning or explanation, every line I draw is Orange.  Every dimension or annotation i place is orange, etc, etc.

Even if I manually load a saved drafting standard, everything is still orange, entity colors do not update and new entities are still created orange.. I simply do not understand this nonsense.

I tried toggling this button: color.jpg, and doing so removes all colors and makes all entities the default blue... not what I'm looking for. 

New entities should land on the DIM layer, which exists and has the correct color applied.  I can manually move entities to the DIM layer, but their color remains Orange.

I can manually change the color of individual entities with the color picker, but the underlying standards and default colors i have been using now seem lost!

I sometimes have multiple sketch entity colors in my drawings, but typically the standards have been applied correctly and i'll over-rule those on a per-entity basis.

Need to get this fixed and stop wasting time!

Ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks

• Re: Drafting standards not being applied
          Justin Lee

Also, for what its worth, solidworks 2016 sp2.0.   Ive not updated anything, changed settings or applied any patches within the last 6 months.  this issue just popped up yesterday.

Justin Lee

Also, if i open an old drawing where the proper colors had been applied previously, existing entities are the correct color, but new entities are created orange.  WTH?!

Justin Lee

Ok. more info.. 

If i create a new entity, and change its color to green.. additional entities are created green as well.   If i close the file and open a new file, new entities in that file are also created green.   If i close solidworks and re-open, new entities are green..

Somehow the last color i picked from the color picker is being applied globally, to all entities without consent or regard to drafting standards.  There is a checkbox for "default Color" in the color picker, its NOT checked.

ARR!!   Please help!

Justin Lee

Ok this is friggin backwards but I think i fixed it.. still testing to see it the fix persists, but here's what I did (it is friggin backwards, defying any logic whatsoever)....

Messing around with the color picker, i realized it was always choosing my previously selected color, and applying that globally to all entities, even though i made sure the "default" checkbox was unchecked.

So, for giggles I selected one of the basic colors in the picker and set it as a default.... I figured, what the hell.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I chose the Light red in the top/left most color in the color picker dialog, then put a check mark in the "default" checkbox.

I clicked OK on the color dialog expecting new entities to be created in the new default color (light red).  NEWP!  Now, my original issue is fixed.  Somehow, setting a new default color has stopped the previous behavior.  My default colors are being applied correctly again and everything seems fine.

Soooo backwards!

This behavior should be examined further and should probably be flagged as a bug.

Glenn Schroeder

Justin Lee wrote:

Ok this is friggin backwards but I think i fixed it.. still testing to see it the fix persists, but here's what I did (it is friggin backwards, defying any logic whatsoever)....

Messing around with the color picker, i realized it was always choosing my previously selected color, and applying that globally to all entities, even though i made sure the "default" checkbox was unchecked.

So, for giggles I selected one of the basic colors in the picker and set it as a default.... I figured, what the hell.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I chose the Light red in the top/left most color in the color picker dialog, then put a check mark in the "default" checkbox.

I clicked OK on the color dialog expecting new entities to be created in the new default color (light red). NEWP! Now, my original issue is fixed. Somehow, setting a new default color has stopped the previous behavior. My default colors are being applied correctly again and everything seems fine.

Soooo backwards!

This behavior should be examined further and should probably be flagged as a bug.

I'm not sure I followed you here.  When you talk about the "color picker" are you referring to the Line Color icon on the Line Format toolbar?  If yes, then it's not a bug, but a lack of understanding on your part about how Default works.  Choosing a color and then selecting Default doesn't change the default.  Choosing a color activates that color, but then selecting Default returns to the settings determined by Tools > Options or Layers.

So when you chose the light red, if you had stopped there then new entities would have been that color.  But when you then selected Default you over-rode the light red color and returned the active color to the default.

Just to clarify, there are three (at least) ways to set colors, line type, etc.  The first is at Tools > Options, the second is with Layers, and the third is with the Line Format toolbar.  Layer settings will over-ride Tools > Options settings, and Line Format settings will over-ride Tools > Options and Layer settings.  So as long as your current Layer and the various icons on the Line Format toolbar are set to Default, then the Tools > Options settings will apply.  Any other settings will over-ride those.  Make sense?

Justin Lee

Glenn Schroeder wrote:

...So when you chose the light red, if you had stopped there then new entities would have been that color. But when you then selected Default you over-rode the light red color and returned the active color to the default....

Ok,  I understand what you're saying here.  I see now that after placing a check next to "default", the color picker selection areas become grayed out.  Lets chalk my lack of understanding up to the fact that this behavior is totally counter intuitive.

Lets recap .. Ive selected green and I put a check in the box next to "default" in the same color dialog and clicked OK. From a UI & usability perspective it is not unreasonable for a me to expect that the new default color in this scenario should be green.

The fact that the Default box is programed to effectively create the absence of color instead of making the selected color the new default is not what i was expecting at all.  Adobe illustrator uses a box with a / through it in the color swatches dialog to remove color from a line.  something like that, or simply better wording in the UI would have helped me to avoid several hours of frustration.

Even if default checkbox function is documented in the manual, said function of the default checkbox is not intuitive. 

John Stoltzfus

Ran into the same thing here, thanks for the heads up - another thing is line weight acts the same way........

Sarah Dwight

I did this to myself without realizing it. I thought I had selected a line and went to change its color, but accidentally changed the color of every thing because I had nothing selected. Default for Line Colors is like Per Standard for Layers; in order to automatically obtain the preset standard, Line Color has to be set to default.