17 Replies Latest reply on Feb 20, 2009 2:35 PM by Gerald Davis

Appearances in 2009?

Paul McGarr
      Can anyone comment on the way colors, textures, etc are handled in 2009? I started using Solidworks only about eight months ago. I am progressing just fine. To date, the hardest thing for me is dealing with colors...especially removing colors from old part files.

I'm embarrassed to say this, but it's true. I've got file associativity down, complex mating, assemblies, etc. I just spent about ten minutes trying to make an old part NOT be green. Never got there. Green it is!

Man I hope things have changed.

Anybody messing with 2009 care to comment?

Paul
        • Appearances in 2009?
          Matt Lombard
          Paul,

I think 2008 is a total G.F. in this area, and 2009 has improved it by putting it back the way it was to some extent.

In 09, you go to the Appearances PropMgr and do all the things you did with colors and textures in 07.

It's almost as simple as a new icon and a new name for the colors functionality, but not quite.

There are a lot of ways of using this functionality, like drag and drop, and the PropMgr, RealView, PhotoW, etc. Explore it all and make peace with one method.

The biggest bug for me is the inability to remove colors applied to individual faces.

Two steps forward, three steps back. So it goes with SW.
            • Appearances in 2009?
              Matthew Marshall
              One of the textures I use currently is the "Thread" texture. It is useful for adding to the face of a cylinder to give it a quick cosmetic look of threaded bar.

I have been playing around with the new 2009 appearances and cannot see it. I think I'll have to delve deep into the 2008 install directory I have at the moment, save the texture as a JPEG and make myself a 2009 appearance.

the only slightly worrying thing is all the pre 2009 models I've done using the Thread texture!

Ahh well...
                • Appearances in 2009?
                  Matthew Marshall
                  I also did a quick test in 2009 creating an "appreance" of a label on a face rather than using a PhotoWorks Decal. The appearance shows up in an eDrawing and PhotoView 360, whereas the Photoworks Decal does not.
                    • Appearances in 2009?
                      Calvin Allan
                      Paul,

This is an old thread so you've probably already solved this, but I wanted to chime in. I was facing the same issues you were, especially not being able to remove colors from parts I'd previously defined. The best way I've found is to RMB the component or face you'll like to change, click on the appearances icon (the colored sphere), and take a quick look at the drop-down that appears.

The drop-down shows several icons (assemblies, faces, bodies, etc.) with a rectangular color swatch next to each. Click on the swatch you want to remove/change and it will allow you to modify that assigned color. Difficulty in removing colors is usually a result (for me) of changing the wrong association; for example trying to modify the "body" color when SolidWorks had already defined a "component file" color.

So yes, RMB and click on the appropriate swatch, should work out fine.

-C

PS, I actually liked 2008's appearance interface, too, since it allowed a hot-key assignment to bring up the general appearance properties box. Now my hot-key only brings up a box to change line/curve appearances, which is lame and not so useful.
                    • Appearances in 2009?
                      Ron Bates
                      The old thread texture not being included as a default appearance is a known issue. For now, you can browse for the image and re-use it just like any other texture. It is in your install directory, under data\Images\textures\thread.
                      Ron Bates
                      Mgr - Graphical Applications
                        • Appearances in 2009?
                          Michael Starrit
                          Hopefully running with this topic, someone can help me out too. Im having the same problems except the problem starts when i "copy with mates" a part in an assembly. The new part inserted is default grey. In 2008 it was easy to right click on the part select the appearence hierarchy and right click on the swatch rectangle and click remove colour. In 2009 however, i get to the hierarchy right click and nothing shows. So instead i select the swatch and get to the appearence but the remove colour button is greyed out. How can i remove the colour so i can see what it should be. Its hard when you have an item copied 20 times and importing each to hold the colour seperately is a bit long in the tooth. lol. Maybe solidworks should look at this and see if they can add the old option from 2008 or fix the bug in 2009(Unless im overlooking something simple).

Thanks in advance.
                            • Appearances in 2009?
                              Michael Starrit
                              Just realised that there is meant to be a fix in the new SP1.0 now we just have to sort out how to get the update working.
                                • Appearances in 2009?
                                  John TydEb3dk
                                  I am running service pack 2.0 and I am seeing this problem.

Although I think my issue is that I'm running an old, unsupported video card (3D Labs Wildcat VP880 Pro). I'm also having trouble with changing part transparency. When I change it, there is no visual difference (the part remains solid), but I can't select it, I select through it like it was transparent.

Hopefully my boss will spring for a new video card and that will solve my problem.
                                  Someday.....
                              • Appearances in 2009?
                                Gerald Davis

Ron Bates wrote:

The old thread texture not being included as a default appearance is a known issue. For now, you can browse for the image and re-use it just like any other texture. It is in your install directory, under data\Images\textures\thread.

Ron Bates

Mgr - Graphical Applications

Ron -
                                I long for convenient functionality of adding a thread texture.

I think I followed your suggestion by adding the folder ...data\Images\textures\thread to my Appearances folder list. (that was not difficult to do)

When I select the folder in the task pane there are titles for the threads ("thread" and "thread0") but no preview - the P2M image doesn't exist.

It took me a while, but I figured out how to use the feature selection as well as the scaling and rotation controls in the graphic window. Although that was a culture shock, I see that change in functionality as an improvement.

What I came here to rant about is the rotation of the thread texture to give it a "realistic" spiral. That no longer seems to be possible. There is always a jogged zee in the texture.

I tried the same thing using the "neon stripes". Those are nice because of the preview, but have the same jiggy if I change the angle of mapping.

Do you have suggestions for creating realistic thread textures?
                          • Appearances in 2009?
                            John TydEb3dk
                            I just started using 09 today. I CANNOT change the color of parts! It is EXTREMELY frustrating!

I have been playing around with the new appearances dialog box. No matter what I do, select a face or the whole part then click on a color, when I click on the check box nothing happens. All my parts are slate gray, no matter what material I set them too.

It doesn't matter if they are old parts opened in 09 or brand new parts I make. They are all slate gray.

Does anyone else have this problem?
                            • Appearances in 2009?
                              Charles Culp
                              John,

Right click on the part, a 4-color globe will appear in the toolbar that pops up, click on it. This will show the "hierarchy" of the colors. Make sure that there aren't other appearances overriding the one you are changing (aka, a face appearance will override a body appearance). You can change them by then clicking on the offending color, and then it will bring up the settings for that level of appearance. Note that you can then "remove appearance" if you no longer want the appearance applied at that level (thus, to remove the face appearance so it is only controlled at the part level).
                                • Appearances in 2009?
                                  John TydEb3dk
                                  THank you very much Charles, but unfortunately what you wrote is what I've been trying. When I select the new color and click the check box, the part color doesn't change. there is only one level of the heirarchy. I eleminate that appearance and start from scratch, selecting the part and the color I want, click the check box but nothing happens. The part remains gray.
                                • Appearances in 2009?
                                  Charles Culp
                                  Are you working on an assembly or a part?

Sorry, I didn't realize that's what was discussed earlier in this thread.
                                  • Appearances in 2009?
                                    Steve Elting
                                    John,

I feel your pain. I came from using Inventor and I REALLY miss the color toolbar. It couldn't get any easier. But, I'm using SW now and I have to deal with it. I have the same issue with the transparency and the ability to select a part that you have. Once its remotely transparent, its hard to select it again. If you rotate the view just so that other parts aren't directly behind it, you can catch an edge.

As far as the hierarchy of appearance goes, what were they (SW) thinking? The part should be the color of the material. Period. Then, give whoever is working on the assembly the option to quickly change color, transparency, etc., on the fly, so he can see what he's doing while he works on the assembly. Making it look all "pretty" is just fine if you are going to render it for marketing, but not while you're designing.

My two cents....

Steve
                                    • Appearances in 2009?
                                      Steve Elting
                                      I just found the setting to be able to select a part that is transparent. I feel much better now. If anyone is interested its:
                                      System Options > Display/Selection > Enable selection through transparency (Uncheck the box)

Cheers