3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2008 1:39 PM by Brian Cayer

Balloons for indented BOM

Brian Cayer
      Is there a way to have a balloon for a sub assembly show up as it is listed in the BOM.

For example 3.9 instead of 9 as this picture illustrates?

Regards,
        • Balloons for indented BOM
          Eddie Cyganik

Brian,

This appears to be a BUG! All item numbers from a BOM must match their corresponding balloon.
              Brian Cayer
              Eddie,

The sheet shown on the picture had 2 configurations of the top level assembly and 3 views each of the sub assemblies. I selected one of the top level configurations to create the BOM and all the components of each sub assembly came into it with the extended item # ( 3.9, 3.10 ...) I set the balloons to 4 places but it still ballooned at 9 or 10 in the sub assembly views.

I ended up using TOP Level for sheet 1 and reinserting the subs on thier own sheets with seperate BOMS.

This job is going to the floor today so I don't have time to reset the BOM and loose the data I filled in manually.

If this should work then I will try again later when I have time.

Regards,
                  Brian Cayer
                  Eddie,

OK I think I have this problem sorted out.

If I insert the BOM using the Top level assembly view for reference then balloon a part in a sub assembly the balloon in that view or it's derived views will read 3.9

Then if I insert a separate instance of the sub assembly in another view the balloon will drop the 3. and just show 9

If I then insert a part from the sub assembly the numbering will restart at 1

This theme seems to me to be lacking in functionality.

Many times the top assembly view is just to dense to display all the balloons clearly.

I would like to have the choice of being able to balloon separate views of the sub assembly with the original Top assembly numbers within the same drawing across separate sheets if necessary.

I wonder if it would be worth submitting an ER for this?

Regards,