9 Replies Latest reply on Aug 30, 2006 10:26 AM by

Manage library & standart part

Dear Mr. Joy garon & all PDMWE+Conisio Users......

Could you tell me how to handle library part in PDMWE like in PDMWorkgroup ???

I don`t want mange revision for library part.

Thank`s
        • Manage library & standart part
          John - Very good question.

Currently, I am invetigating implementing PDM software and have the same question about the management of library and standard parts no matter what PDM software I end up choosing.

My thoughts on why I want to check in library parts.
          1. Checking in parts will allow me to manage the library in multiple locations insuring that each location is using the same parts in the library.
          2. Checking in parts will allow me to set up a workflow for creating and revising library parts. This will allow me to put the checks in place to make sure all library parts a modeled in an accurate and consistant fashion.
          3. Checking in parts will allow me to manage references. When a user creates a new library part I think they should check in the part to a temporary location, I don't want to give a user read/write permission to the library. After the part gets checked the part is then moved into the library. I still want my assemblies to reference to part in its new location.
          4. By checking in parts, my engineering department controls the permissions to access files thus controlling the security of the files. If I don't check in parts IS controls the access to these files.

My thoughts on why I shouldn't check in library parts.
          1. I don't need a history of revisions on the parts.
          2. Increase size of database may have an effect on performance.

So I have the same decision to make, Do I check library parts into the vault or do I manage them another way? I am leaning toward checking in parts for my situation unless someone gives me additional benifits for not checking in library parts.
            Guys,

I too am in the same situation and am looking for some guidence but I can say if you want to use you PDM/PLM System to create Bill of Materials I believe you will need to check the library items into your vault.

We are actually in the process of implimenting PDMWE and have decided to put our standard parts in the vault. We currenlty have our own version of toolbox. We have standard nuts, bolts, clips, etc. and had to lock them down because users were screwing them up. That put the burden of updating and adding to them on a few users. Now we can open make them writable for all users once they are in the vault because they will be controlled. That puts the burden back on the Engineering who wants to make the change instead of an assigned "librarian".
                1) The only way I know to automatically set revisions is by going thru transition states. Since we are not utilizing the workflow portion right now, we will manually update the revision.
                2) We actually talked about leaving our standard parts out of the vault since you can use parts that are not in the vault in your assemblies. But since our standard parts are always being updated with configurations we decided to add them to the vault.

on 2006 7 09:16 Maksum wrote:
                > Hi lucas......
                >
                > 1. How to setting pdmwe so library part revision will be actually manual ?
                > Where is the option/setting ?
                > the screen shot is an option in PDMWorkgroup.
                > 2. What do mean about " leaving them out of the vault " ?
                > Is the library part do not need to be check in into the vault ? Just in a local folder ?
                >
                > thank you......
                  Hi lucas......

1. How to setting pdmwe so library part revision will be actually manual ?
                  Where is the option/setting ?
                  the screen shot is an option in PDMWorkgroup.
                  2. What do mean about " leaving them out of the vault " ?
                  Is the library part do not need to be check in into the vault ? Just in a local folder ?

thank you......
                    Maksum,
                    If I understand you correctly you do not want the standard parts to be automatically bumped to the next revision? The revision is actually a manual, not automatic, process performed by the engineer during our release process. On the other hand, if you do not want to manage or control standard parts I suggest leaving them out of the vault.

Lucas Dexter
                    Engineering IT admin CADD/PDM

on 2006 7 08:40 Maksum wrote:
                    > Hi Lucas.......
                    >
                    > Is there any option in PDMWE so standart part will not include in revision manage like in
                    > PDMW Workgruop ?
                    >
                    > This is very important, because standart part not need revision manage.
                    >
                    > -mks
                      Hi Lucas.......

Is there any option in PDMWE so standart part will not include in revision manage like in PDMW Workgruop ?

This is very important, because standart part not need revision manage.

-mks
                        Each size/type has its own file and we configure the length. We actually store them in the pallette folder so they are very accessible via the Design Library.

FYI - Currently runnign 2006 SP4.0 until 2007 SP3.0 comes out.
                          Do you use configurations for the sizes or are they separate files for each size?

Jason
                          SolidWorks 2006 SP4.0 on WinXp SP2
                          UG NX 2.0.2.2 on Win2000 SP3