AnsweredAssumed Answered

Building New PC for SW and COSMOS

Question asked by Gerry Wood on Aug 13, 2008
Latest reply on Aug 20, 2008 by Jeff Calhoun
I am an IT Administrator and luckily I have very little involvement with SW. Our department is running SW 2008 soon to upgrade to 2009. I have been tasked with providing them with a new PC to do 3D modeling and rendering.

When we originally bought SW in 2007 we had two computers built, one laptop and one desktop, considerably above the recommended specifications by SW. What I've noticed is their product will work in those applications but you basically have to turn all of the features off. I believe that the processors in both the laptop and the desktop are Core 2 Duo's and the laptop is a 2.6 GHz processor while the desktop is a 3.2 GHz processor. Both have 4Gb of Ram. The laptop is a Dell M90 and possess an Nvidia Quadro FX 3500 video card. The Desktop has a FireGL ATI 1700 (I think) and is an HP Workstation. What we have noticed is that the laptop outperforms the HP workstation as far as being able to use the features of SW but we have more problems with OS interoperability. I believe this has to do with the fact that they have installed XP Pro Dell, which is their reprogrammed version of XP Pro, yes I know HP does it to! With the desktop we run into driver issues on the ATI graphics cards.

We are now in the market to purchase a new desktop that will be able to render and hopefully not crash everytime we add a part to a drawing. This time I am building the PC with the help of an Intel Rep. I have started doing this for all of our other desktop PC's and have noticed a major increase in performance and decrease in maintenance, especially with interoperability issues between programs. The new PC I am building is spec'd currently with an Intel G33 Motherboard, 3.0 Quad Core processor with 12Mb L2 Cache, 8Gb of RAM, Nvidia Quadro FX 4600 Graphics Card, 250Gb SATA HDD, XP Pro x64, and two KDS 22" monitors. I don't know if anybody is running anything close to this application or if they have considered the OS of large companies such as HP and Dell to be an issue. Any and all input would be helpful and appreciated.

Gerry Wood
IT Administrator
New Tech Systems, Inc.

Outcomes