1 2 3 First Previous 112 Replies Latest reply on Jun 14, 2012 3:46 PM by Mathieu Ouellet

What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?

Eddie Cyganik
      => All SolidWorks Tables: Provide the capability to set & lock Column Width & Row Height. (Provided as template settings and as document property overrides.)

=> Multi-Jog Leaders: Extend the capability to Radius, Diameter & Hole Callouts.

• 1. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
          Heather Nelson
          Maybe I'm missing a setting or something but.. It would be nice if I changed the configuration of the parent view that the children would follow suit.
          • 2. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
            Dwight Livingston
            1. Create option to attach the ASME symbol for ALL AROUND to the bend of a leader.

2. In all tables, as lines in cells are added or subtracted, maintain row height so that the cell with the most lines has the default (or specified) vertical cell padding.

3. Create option for user specified vertical cell padding.

4. Create option to disable vertical cell padding and specify a constant row height, regardless of lines per cell, to be applied either row-by-row or for entire table.

5. Change SW tables to have basic spreadsheet functions, without MS Excel.

6. Provide a view scale property for annotation links.

7. In SW tables, provide ability to advance the cell focus using the tab key.

8. Create option to add a new centermark to an existing centermark group.

9. Create option to move a lone centermark, or a centermark in a centermark group, and attach it to a new hole while retaining witness line attachments.

10. Remove the current break feature for dimension lines and witness lines.

11. Create option to automatically break witness lines where they come near to an arrowhead.

12. When a datum symbol is attached to an arc or circle of sufficient radius, conform base of attachment triangle to that arc or circle.

13. Allow a datum symbol to be attached to the long leg of a leader line.

14. Create feature to embed custom symbols in drawing files.

15. Create feature for view naming when in drawing mode.

16. Create a view rotation option that locks a user-specified 3D vertical direction to be parallel to the sides of the user's monitor as the view is rotated.

17. Change the default side cell padding and the default vertical cell padding to .05".

18. Add a feature to specify a break distance from an arrowhead.
            • 3. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
              Charles Culp
              Summary of valid points from previous thread, summarized to ones I personally find need attention:

=> The hole callout tool will not recognize holes drilled into a non-planar surface.

=> GD&T data is saved to gtol.sym instead of being saved with the drawing. When providing drawing to 3rd party, the GD&T data is lost.

=> PDF & export print quality of shaded views only 72dpi. This should either be variable, or at least 300dpi.

=> vertical cell padding, single line vs. multi-line in tables

=> Default padding should be .08" all around.

=> Centermarks are created in "sets", but those sets cannot be edited or added to after creation.

and my own personal peeves:
              => Why can't I TAB through cells in general tables and BOMs. I have to double click on each cell, which is very cumbersome

=> Notes with embedded balloons have line spacing problems. Depending on whether the document was recently opened, is in text-edit mode, or has text that was edited since it was opened, leads to 3 different text heights.

=> When I make a note callout, I use the triangle symbol. I use automatic numbering in the note. To get the triangle note over the numeral for the note number I create a blank triangle in a new note, and move it over the number. This is crazy, I should be able to right click on the automatic number and select "note callout" (or something similar) and have it put a triangle around it.

and a couple new enhancements:

=> create named views directly in the drawing, by rotating the model. Eddie has a nice work-around, but how about the real deal.

=> similarly, be able to lock the "Y" orientation, and only rotate in ZX space.

=> The macro has been around for a while, but it doesn't work well. How about SW integrates a tool to convert lower case to ALL CAPS?
              • 4. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                Dwight Livingston
                Improvements for SW Drawing

IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE, CLARIFY, OR ADD ITEMS, THEN PLEASE COPY, EDIT, AND POST THIS LIST.

1. Symbols
                1.1. Create option to attach the ASME symbol for ALL AROUND to the bend of a leader.
                1.2. Create feature to embed custom symbols in drawing files.
                2. Table Format
                2.1. In all tables, as lines in cells are added or subtracted, maintain row height so that the cell with the most lines has the default (or specified) vertical cell padding.
                2.2. Create option for user specified vertical cell padding.
                2.3. Create option to disable vertical cell padding and specify a constant row height, regardless of lines per cell, to be applied either row-by-row or for entire table.
                2.4. Change the default side cell padding and the default vertical cell padding to .05" [Charles says .008"]
                2.5. Provide capability to lock Column Width [WHERE WOULD THIS BE SET?].
                2.6. Provide capability to lock Row Height [WHERE WOULD THIS BE SET?].
                3. Table Function
                3.1. Change SW tables to have basic spreadsheet functions, without MS Excel.
                3.2. In SW tables, provide ability to advance the cell focus using the tab key.
                4. Properties
                4.1. Provide a view scale property for annotation links.
                5. Centermarks
                5.1. Create option to add a new centermark to an existing centermark group.
                5.2. Create option to move a lone centermark, or a centermark in a centermark group, and attach it to a new hole while retaining witness line attachments.
                6. Dimension Format
                6.1. Remove the current break feature for dimension lines and witness lines.
                6.2. Create option to automatically break witness lines where they come near to an arrowhead.
                6.3. Add a feature to specify a break distance from an arrowhead.
                7. GD&T
                7.1. When a datum symbol is attached to an arc or circle of sufficient radius, conform base of attachment triangle to that arc or circle.
                7.2. Allow a datum symbol to be attached to the long leg of a leader line.
                7.3. Save GD&T data in drawing.
                8.1. Create feature for view naming when in drawing mode.
                8.2. Create a view rotation option that locks a one user-specified axis.
                8.3. When the configuration of object in a view is changed, change the configuration in all dependent views.
                9. Hole Callouts
                9.1. Provide hole callouts for holes in non-planar surfaces.
                10. Hole Tables
                11. Print
                11.1. Create option to control PDF and export print quality.
                12. Notes
                12.1. Provide consistent line height in notes with embedded balloons and symbols.
                12.2. Create option to balloon the outline numbers in outlined notes.
                12.3. Provide convenient tool to convert lower case to all caps.
                • 5. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                  Matthew Lorono
                  If SW wants to focus on quality, these two lists would be the best place to start.
                  • 6. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                    Dwight Livingston
                    Eddie

I added your row and column lock features to the list (see items 2.5 and 2.6) but I think you might flesh out the details. How locked would they be? Where would they be locked?

I put them as separate items becasue I can see where you might want to lock just one or the other.
                    • 7. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                      Dwight Livingston
                      Charles

See item 2.4. I think .008" is crowded, but I'll go wth the flow. Should it be proportional to the font size?
                      • 8. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                        Eddie Cyganik

Cell Padding, like most settings in tables need to be set and saved by the individual users. This can be provided via System Options & Document Properties or Table Templates.

Side Note:
                        => The SW default is: .001 (Unquestionably the one of the stupidest defaults ever! )
                        => Dwight mentions: .050
                        => Charles suggests: .008 all around
                        => We use: .060

I say to each of his or her own.

• 9. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                          Eddie Cyganik
                          Dwight,

That's fine but I prefer to see one or two new things at a time as users add to the topic. For me it is too much to go thru the entire list and try to determine what has been added.

If you'd like to take on the responsibility of collating data, be my guest.

And Thank You Very Much!

BIG EDIT:
                          Dwight,
                          I do not see how individuals are going to copy, edit & repost the list AND stay in sync/up to date with the latest list.
                          • 10. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                            Dwight Livingston
                            Eddie

Yeah, it would be hard to find new items or changes, unless people also posted a comment. It could be a discussion in a separate post, or just a note at the end of the list saying "I added 6.5 and edited 3.1"

I'm thinking it would work like a wiki, where people just make the changes and post it, and whatever is posted last is what is up to date. There's no sync to anything else. If people don't like an idea, they delete it and repost. Hopefully that will not happen without some discussion.

Just thinking about it now, it would be good to have a completion date in mind, and then people can vote the list, maybe rank the changes.
                            • 11. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                              Dwight Livingston

Eddie Cyganik wrote:

Cell Padding, like most settings in tables need to be set and saved by the individual users. This can be provided via System Options & Document Properties or Table Templates.

Side Note:

=> The SW default is: .001 (Unquestionably the one of the stupidest defaults ever! )

=> Dwight mentions: .050

=> Charles suggests: .008 all around

=> We use: .060

I say to each of his or her own.

I agree and feel a user specified default is required. With that, I wouldn't care what default it ships with. I will edit item 2.4 to suit.

• 12. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                                Charles Culp
                                .008 was a typo on my part. I always set mine to .080", which is the default for MS Word.
                                • 13. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                                  Dwight Livingston
                                  Improvements for SW Drawing

IF YOU WANT TO CHANGE, CLARIFY, OR ADD ITEMS, THEN PLEASE COPY, EDIT, AND POST THIS LIST.

1. Symbols
                                  1.1. Create option to attach the ASME symbol for ALL AROUND to the bend of a leader.
                                  1.2. Create feature to embed custom symbols in drawing files.
                                  2. Table Format
                                  2.1. In all tables, as lines in cells are added or subtracted, maintain row height so that the cell with the most lines has the default (or specified) vertical cell padding.
                                  2.2. Create option for user specified vertical cell padding.
                                  2.3. Create option to disable vertical cell padding and specify a constant row height, regardless of lines per cell, to be applied either row-by-row or for entire table.
                                  2.4. Create option for user specified defaults for vertical and horizontal cell padding.
                                  2.5. Provide capability to lock Column Width [WHERE WOULD THIS BE SET?].
                                  2.6. Provide capability to lock Row Height [WHERE WOULD THIS BE SET?].
                                  3. Table Function
                                  3.1. Change SW tables to have basic spreadsheet functions, without MS Excel.
                                  3.2. In SW tables, provide ability to advance the cell focus using the tab key.
                                  4. Properties
                                  4.1. Provide a view scale property for annotation links.
                                  5. Centermarks
                                  5.1. Create option to add a new centermark to an existing centermark group.
                                  5.2. Create option to move a lone centermark, or a centermark in a centermark group, and attach it to a new hole while retaining witness line attachments.
                                  6. Dimension Format
                                  6.1. Remove the current break feature for dimension lines and witness lines.
                                  6.2. Create option to automatically break witness lines where they come near to an arrowhead.
                                  6.3. Add a feature to specify a break distance from an arrowhead.
                                  7. GD&T
                                  7.1. When a datum symbol is attached to an arc or circle of sufficient radius, conform base of attachment triangle to that arc or circle.
                                  7.2. Allow a datum symbol to be attached to the long leg of a leader line.
                                  7.3. Save GD&T data in drawing.
                                  8.1. Create feature for view naming when in drawing mode.
                                  8.2. Create a view rotation option that locks a one user-specified axis.
                                  8.3. When the configuration of object in a view is changed, change the configuration in all dependent views.
                                  9. Hole Callouts
                                  9.1. Provide hole callouts for holes in non-planar surfaces.
                                  10. Hole Tables
                                  11. Print
                                  11.1. Create option to control PDF and export print quality.
                                  12. Notes
                                  12.1. Provide consistent line height in notes with embedded balloons and symbols.
                                  12.2. Create option to balloon the outline numbers in outlined notes.
                                  12.3. Provide convenient tool to convert lower case to all caps.

Note: I edited item 2.4

EDIT: CRAP, I DON"T GET THE BOLD FORMAT IF I CUT AND PASTE FROM THE POST. JUST HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT.
                                  • 14. What Drawing Functionality Does SolidWorks Need to Improve?
                                    Brian Cayer
                                    Dwight,
                                    I don't want to mess with your list so here's my 2¢

I would like to see a custom properties field in a Part file that automaticly filled in with the Item # from the BOM

Regards,
                                    1 2 3 First Previous