12 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2016 9:02 AM by John Pagel

Korean SPAM

John Pagel

Another huge influx of SPAM this morning.  I spent a while reporting them and got a few dozen or so but they are coming in as fast as I can get through them (with a sizeable backlog to boot).  So, I figure I'll let the rest of the community grab what's left (and still coming).

However, the reason I started this discussion is ask if anyone knows what their goal is?  I assume it's a method to plant a virus or a worm, but I am not willing to risk my work's network to go to their website and find out.

• Re: Korean SPAM
          Christian Chu

Is there a way to stop it?

should only allow registered or verified email users to post mesg here !!!!

Glenn Schroeder

John Pagel wrote:

However, the reason I started this discussion is ask if anyone knows what their goal is?

Maybe it's an experiment to test how much frustration Richard Doyle can tolerate?

John Pagel

Well, since they can't design nuclear power plants maybe they are just going for the bomb instead?

If you are thinking of designing a nuclear plant - don't

Problem is, according to the EULA they won't be able to design the aerospace equipment to transport it...hmm, what a pickle.

On the bright side, there's nothing more bonding for a community than a collective hate for someone else.  Still wish it would go away.  This is typically one of the VERY few corners of the internet where you can shed the normal nonsense (spam, bigotry, viruses, name calling, etc...)

Tony Cantrell

I sent Solidworks a tweet and it was stop shortly there after.

John Pagel

Ha, I definitely I wish I had enough influence to do that.  Of course, at this point I am expecting it to start again in the morning...

Greg Hynd

Spam once again.

This forum is becoming unusable. Can someone in the UK be giving powers to clear it off, so we don't need to wait until America wakes up for it to be cleared each day?

Greg Hynd

bump.

John Pagel

I agree, but to expand on your idea, I know that it has been suggested by others that SolidWorks give these permissions to a few people in each time zone.  Currently, I am not sure which time zones or countries SolidWorks is placing these moderators.

That being said, the messages can be cleared by clicking on each one and reporting it as abuse: SPAM, but it would be nice to give these select few moderators the ability to outright ban a user.  That way instead of getting a hundred messages out (out more) they can only get a few out before their account is shut down.

Also makes me wonder why they can't just automate this process.  Anyone who puts up successive posts once per minute (as these spammers have set their bots to do) will get their account frozen after 10 posts.  Then, a moderator can look and unfreeze the account if this was done in error.  I can't believe that anyone is posting legitimately at that speed or quantity.  Of course, since I am not a software engineer, this idea probably fits in the category of "easier said than done".

As an ME I have come up with a mechanical solution, but this requires a hammer and the physical location of the hardware hosting this bot.  I call it rapid mechanical separation; a.k.a. smash the living hell out of their servers.

Jaja Jojo

boom it's annoying