14 Replies Latest reply on Sep 3, 2008 9:07 AM by James Constable

PDMWE Defined - Cost, Etc.

John Scott
      PDMWorks costs and resource commitment has been difficult for me to define. Most of the correspondence with my VAR is shrouded in sales hype...do they know what they are talking about? Are they just trying to force a sale? Every answer or presentation is canned; will it work for us? Here is the information I have mined so far, please confirm and help me continue to define...

PDMWE CLIENTS (LEVELS) COST
      1) Viewer: 5 Seats $2995, annual $1243.75
      2) Contributor: 1 Seat $1295, annual $493.75
      3) For SolidWorks (Full User): 1 Seat $1795, annual $618.75

OTHER COSTS
      4) Implementation: $1600/day and typically takes 6-8 days.
      5) eDrawing Pro: 1 Seat $495

HARDWARE COSTS
      6) Vault Server: $5000?

DEFINITIONS
      PDMWE Viewer - Search, view and print only.
      PDMWE Contributor - Creating and checking in/out non-CAD documents.
      PDMWE Full User - Allows full access by SolidWorks user.
      Implementation - Setting up PDMWE to fit your business. Our VAR uses a third party.
      eDrawing Pro - Supposedly required for all non-SW Pro & Prem. users to participate in CAD data.

QUESTIONS
      1) Can an AutoCAD only user check-in their drawings and have full access to PDMWE?
      2) Do you really have to buy eDrawings Pro? If a viewer wants to mark-up a drawing or take measurements will the free download version work?
      3) What about contributor; they can't touch CAD data? Have to purchase eDrawing Pro too?
      4) How long does it take to be up and running? VAR says two weeks. I have heard anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Total resources, let's say for a group of 10 full users, could be around $35,750 and 9 months?
        • PDMWE Defined - Cost, Etc.
          Kurt Lundstedt
          Hi John,

My name is Kurt Lundstedt and I'm the PDM Techicnical Sales Mgr for SolidWorks. Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting the information you need. Please email me at kurt.lundstedt@3ds.com or call me at 847-438-1880.

I should be able to help you out.
            Mike Tompkins
            Hi John,

Our company is using PDMWE 2008 SP 3.0

Your Questions.....

1) Can an AutoCAD only user check-in their drawings and have full access to PDMWE?

-->Yes, if they are using the full client.
            ===========================

2) Do you really have to buy eDrawings Pro? If a viewer wants to mark-up a drawing or take measurements will the free download version work?

--> eDrawings Pro is included in every client install, and can view, measure, markup, section, etc....

3) What about contributor; they can't touch CAD data? Have to purchase eDrawing Pro too?

--->Contributor can VIEW using the explorer interface and open (read-only) CAD data in eDrawings Pro (which is included in the client install)

4) How long does it take to be up and running? VAR says two weeks. I have heard anywhere from 6 months to a year.

-->"VAR says two weeks..." -- this is possible, but in my opinion, not advisable. There is simply too much 'stuff to digest', both for individuals, and company-wide. You might want to consider implementing in phases.

It depends on what you need to do. Make sure you FULLY understand the lifecycle of your CAD data as it moves thru your company. Testing, testing, testing before you go live. It's easy to fix something before you go live, but afterwords fixes can be 'challenging'. Also, what about legacy data? Is it prepped to go into the vault?

Make sure you understand the Pro's and Con's of product data management software in general.

Know EXACTLY what you want PDMWE to do. WRITE IT DOWN - MAKE A PLAN.

If you use configurations that have revisions, be advised that PDMWE does not handle revisions of configurations - you will have to address that in your setup.

These are just some observations from our install.

Mike
                John Scott
                Kurt - thanks for the offer will be contacting you. I don't know if VAR is trying to mislead or just unfamiliar with PDMW? They probably are not familiar...thats why forums like this are so great, to make sure I'm getting accurate information.

Mike - Excellent tips; lifecycle of CAD data and testing. eDrawings comes with PDMWE! See my VAR was making it sound like we needed to purchase separate...even have a quote for eDrawings Pro. I definitely need to continue defining our current process and devise a plan of tiered implementation.

So PDMWE likes to see a part as a part - not a part with many configs, and assembly as an assembly not a assembly with configs, etc. Hard time managing and assigning revisions?

Can anyone provide more insight/examples of lifecycle of CAD data and testing/piloting as relates to PDMWE?

What about the cost? Is my example accurate?

Mike Tompkins
                    Hi John,

"lifecycle of CAD data and testing"

Remember, this is YOUR Company's lifecycle. (Technically, PDMWE is PDM type product, not PLM (Product Lifecycle Management).) You must completely understand how YOUR product / drawing is released in your company. It can be simple, or it can be complicated, as long as you understand it.

In PDMWE, what you are referring to as lifecycle is called 'Workflow'. A simple example is:

**Begin Workflow**
                    1. PROTOTYPE
                    2. DEVELOPMENT
                    3. PENDING
                    4. RELEASED
                    ---Note - Workflow forks here----
                    5a. EC CHANGE ORDER --> Goto Step 2, DEVELOPMENT
                    5b. OBSOLETE
                    **End Workflow**

In the Workflow above, each step is called a 'State'. The change from one State to another is called a 'Transition'. In each State or Transition, you can make things happen to the File and / or the metadata (Custom Properties), depending on how you build YOUR implementation.

Once you build your Workflow, test it by running files thru it. Does it behave as expected? Try to imagine every scenario that a user could attempt. Try to imagine users mistakes. TRY TO BREAK IT.

'So PDMWE likes to see a part as a part - not a part with many configs'

It's helpful to think of it, not as drawings, parts, or assemblies, but as FILES. PDMWE manages Revisions and Version of FILES. The file contains data (configs) in it. If you are managing configs using Revisions, you'll need to account for that in your implementation.

Just about every company's installation of SW and PDMWE is unique, so it's difficult to give specifics. Understanding your company's specifics and thoroughly testing your implementation will get you there.

Mike
                  Glenn Douglas

John Scott wrote:

We have been unable to succesfully migrate our WorkGroup data to Enterprise. We have tried several times over the last 1.5 weeks. Our VAR has escaleted the problem to SolidWorks to resolve.
                      John Scott

Glenn Douglas-2 wrote:

We have been unable to succesfully migrate our WorkGroup data to Enterprise. We have tried several times over the last 1.5 weeks. Our VAR has escaleted the problem to SolidWorks to resolve.

Yah, that is another thing that makes me crazy. The VAR's canned presentations are always so pretty but in the real world it does not work that way...I always seem to find the bugs.

This is what I say to SolidWorks...I don't want another new version I want a version that works! I guess it is the bling in the new versions that sells which is easy to highlight in the VAR's presentations. You don't normally find out what a PITA the software is until you start using it; after the purchase.

Good luck getting your data to migrate. I assume you are talking about document other than CAD...MS Office documents, etc. I wish I could help you.
                          Glenn Douglas

John Scott wrote:

Good luck getting your data to migrate. I assume you are talking about document other than CAD...MS Office documents, etc. I wish I could help you.

In this case we are having problems with our revision scheme migrateing over on the CAD files. The migration tool is also stopping on errors. Our IT guy had to "babysit" the system for 36 hours during our last migration test.

I gave up on the migration tool. I simply checked out everything from the Workgroup Vault to the PDMWE vault and checked it in. The add-in I wrote took care of setting the correct revisions. We only had about 5000 files so it wasn't too bad.
                            John Scott
                            My SW sales/VAR has recommended that you do NOT go from PDMW-W to PDMW-E. "It is best to go from windows explorer to PDMW-E vault." This was their way to say the migration tool sucks.
                              Glenn Douglas

Lee Young wrote:

I gave up on the migration tool. I simply checked out everything from the Workgroup Vault to the PDMWE vault and checked it in. The add-in I wrote took care of setting the correct revisions. We only had about 5000 files so it wasn't too bad.

What is involved in setting up the add in? We are still strugling with migrateing and going into our third week of trying. We really cannot do any significant testing until we get a good migration.

Glenn Douglas

Lee Young wrote:

Lee, thanks for the offer. I'll drop you an email. We are four weeks into trying to migrate our vault data and still unsucsessful.

Send me an email, (the address is in my profile) and I'll forward you the source code. You'll need to build the solution and add some stored procedures. I can only offer what I used to make it work on our end and you'll in all likelihood need to edit it to support your revision scheme.
                                  James Constable
                                  We are hopefully about to start the implementation and our experiences with the migration tool have been mixed. We have used it a little bit through our VAR and they have done a few runs on our data with it. This was mainly because we were fairly adamant that we wanted to import history and workflows from PDMW. What took me a while to get and then communicate to the VAR is if you want to import lifecycle you have to setup an import lifecycle in PDME that can do exactly as PDMW can. That means you need a transition to go from any lifecycle status to any other lifecycle status.

good luck
                                  James