17 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2008 11:28 PM by Wayne Towers

COSMOS 2008 license problem

Daniel Philippidis
      Hi, I am running SolidWorks 2008 with COSMOS on a macbook pro using windows xp through bootcamp. Solidworks runs fine, but COSMOSWorks and COSMOSMotion will not initialize. COSMOSFloWorks seems to start fine. I get a "COSMOSWorks authorization failed message". I was able to setup the license.dat file that was emailed to me. I see all the modules are available in the authorized modules tab. In the status tab there is a green check mark next to authorization, sentinal driver detected, and sentinal driver running. There is a red x next to sentinel dongel detected. However my PC runs cosmos 2007 student with the red x next to sentinal dongle detected just fine. I noticed that COSMOS 2008 student is running the 2007 version of COSMOS License administrator. It also says that license version is 2007 instead of 2008.
        • COSMOS 2008 license problem
          Felix N
          Look at these two threads, you're not the only one:
          https://forum.solidworks.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=59&threadid=11406&enterthread=y
          https://forum.solidworks.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=59&threadid=13936&enterthread=y

Solidworks is working on it...
            Dear Daniel:

I face exactly the same problem.

Have you managed to find an answer to the problem as yet?

best
            satendra
              David Beard
              Is there now a solution for this licensing error? I have a 12 month license for Cosmos with my 2 year student version license. I installed them on 8/25/2008 and it is now 9/12/2008 and I still don't have COSMOS/MOTION working. So three weeks of a 52 week license of COSMOS have already been used up and I've never gotten to use COSMOS/MOTION . All I get is an error message COSMOSMOTION authorization failed Please check licesne information etc. I have re-downloaded the license file several times with no improvement.
                  anurag shukla
                  GUYS,,,,

check this link...it appears SW has resolved the issue, you need to install this hotfix.

http://www.solidworks.com/sw/e...ion/2357_ENU_HTML.htm

Kara Turner
                      I can not get any of my cosmos stuff working.
                      COSMOSWorks doesnt work
                      COSMOSFloWorks doesnt work
                      I just get the same old errors.
                      I have followed the directions to a T and still no JOY.

What link did you use, htat you got COSMOSWorks/COSMOSFloWorks working ?

Thanks
                      Kara
                          anurag shukla
                          which version are u using? we r discussing about 2008-2009
                              Kara Turner
                              Yep, 2008/2009
                              Just installed last week, SW works fine but no joy with any of the Cosmos stuff
                              I have tried everything, and support has been no help.

My host ID is correct I have already posted the full ipconfig for you to verify.

I have found there are a few links to register Cosmos but not one that works for me.

What link are the people that got part of it working using ?

Here is the one that came in my instructions:
                              http://www.solidworks.com/cosmosedulicense
                              wich redirects me to
                              http://www.solidworks.com/sw/s...wsimedulicensing.htm/

------------------------------------
                              C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : Designer
                              Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
                              Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
                              IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                              WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
                              DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.
                              Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek RTL8168C(P)/8111C(P) Family PCI-E
                              Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)
                              Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-21-9B-06-EE-4B
                              DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
                              Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
                              Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::cd62:b3f7ad:620f%11(Preferred)
                              IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.116(Preferred)
                              Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
                              Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:10:09 AM
                              Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Thursday, September 11, 2008 3:10:08 AM
                              Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                              DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                              DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
                              NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
                              Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
                              Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
                              Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-00-54-55-4E-01
                              DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
                              Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : hsd1.pa.comcast.net.
                              Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.hsd1.pa.comcast.net.
                              Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
                              DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

C:\
                            David Beard
                            a s -

Yes, I stumbled upon the hotfix liink during one of my searches for help and with great excitement I ran the hotfix thinking that it had to be the answer! But even though the hotfix appeared to run correctly, it made no difference, Cosmos/motion of floworks still do not run. One strange thing I noticed when reading the hotfix instructions was that it said I think to authorize motion before anything else. But I am not given an option to authorize anything at all, much less anything in a certain order. Even afer uninstalling SW, the license info apparently stays on the PC, so reinstalling SW does not prompt for authorization codes for SW or COSMOS, so there's no way I know of to start from scratch.
                          Felix N
                          David, I'm in the same boat. I've gotten Floworks and Works to run after weeks of waiting for solidworks to fix it, but motion is still broken. This is crap, how can you release something without checking whether the licensing works? And then not fix it for MONTHS?
                              Zachary Hillman
                              I have noticed at

https://swcustomer.solidworks.com/student/CosmosInstructions.htm

that there is one link for most of Cosmos, and another for motion. You might have to apply both licenses.
                                  anurag shukla
                                  Hi
                                  Just got this information:
                                  for 2008-2009 edition, solidworks gives .lic license file and you need to place it in correct folder as per your operating system.
                                  Also noticed that the folder in which it asks you to place the license file are system folders hence can not be accessed directly using explorer.
                                  You need to type the full path in explorer address bar and then press enter to open it and then copy/paste the license file into it.
                                  It worked for me.
                                  After getting cosmos to work correctly, then only you can run hotfix for vista and then it works correctly.
                                  It worked for me....
                                      Wayne Towers
                                      i have installed the new lic file for cosmos works to the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SolidWorks dir and cosmosworks, & cosmosmotion
                                      just do not work. the same authorization failure message.
                                      i checked the lic file for the correct config id & also ran the hotfix.
                                      is there any thing else i can check?
                                      thanks,
                                      wayne