1 Reply Latest reply on Jul 18, 2016 8:04 PM by Brian Hillner

Decal is cut off

Sean Trainor

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to render a shirt model to hopefully show off the rendering capabilities of visualize but I've hit a problem when applying the decal. When I scale the decal up it starts to get cut off as it goes around the waist. The only way I can seem to have the full image is to have it really small which isn't suitable. Any ideas what I can do? I've tried increasing the decal depth but I can't go above 0.2 without it appearing on the back of my model.

Also, any suggestions on how to make this really stand out would be great. The shirt looks rather dull and if I increase the brightness it then becomes washed out. I'm still learning with this so any advice is appreciated.

I've added my project here Dropbox - shirt project.svpj

• Re: Decal is cut off
          Brian Hillner

Hi Sean

Decals in Visualize are like digital stickers, and only planar projection. These digital stickers wrap perfectly over the surfaces below, and you can also add any Appearance to the Decal, as well as any texture mapping...which can create some awesome effects! Just drag/drop and place the Decal on your part, then drag/drop the Appearance onto of the Decal.

For anything complex that needs to wrap over a very curved surface, such as around a water bottle, or shirt sleeve, texture mapping is required. Please watch this old Bunkspeed tutorial below, describing the differences between Decals and texture mapping, and when to use each.

Bunkspeed Decals vs Texture Mapping - YouTube

Brian