3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 15, 2016 2:21 AM by Sindre Sorhus

Simulation Insulation Issue

Stephen Baker

Hello,

I downloaded and installed the Solidworks student edition, year 2015-2016.  When I install the program, I selected the Solidworks simulation Add-In.  After the program installed, the simulation Add-In is not available in the Solidworks program.  But, when I look to see if the simulation software was activated, it says that the Add-In was activated.  Is it a bad disc?  Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Stephen Baker

• Re: Simulation Insulation Issue
          Sindre Sorhus

It seems like you got the license registered but miss the program.Try to run the setup again and select modify. On the last summary page, click change icon on the products list. Then you can check simulation to install that add-in.

br,

Sindre

Stephen Baker

No,  it says the product is installed.  I tried uninstalling the product and then reinstalling the product and no luck.

Stephen

Sindre Sorhus

I see. Then this is most likely a problem related to windows security update KB3072630 that was released july 15th, 2015. The solution to this problem is to add activate an exception in a registry key prior to installation/repair of SolidWorks. After it is installed or repaired you can deactivate the newly created registry string.

You may want to get help from your VAR to do this fix, because you must be carefull when you do changes to the registry of the computer. If you search for the solution ID on the knowledge base you will find two regfiles that add this key automaitcally, but you can also do it manually by following the steps listed below.

S-069490

Standalone installs:

1.     Click 'Start', click 'Run', type "regedit" in the 'Open' box, and then click 'OK'.

2.     Locate and click the following subkey in the registry:   HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

Note: If this subkey does not exist, create it.

3.     In the 'Edi't menu, point to 'New', and then click 'DWORD Value'.

4.     For the DWORD name, type "RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy", and then press 'Enter'.

5.     Right-click "RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy", and then click 'Modify'.

6.     In the 'Value' data box, type 1, and then click 'OK'.

7.     Run a Repair of your SOLIDWORKS Installation (S-050527)

8.     After the application installs successfully, reset the 'RemappedElevatedProxiesPolicy' DWORD value to "0" to re-enable the security fix for KB 3072630.

The problem is fixed in 2015 SP5 and 2016 SP0 and onward, but for education version it is probably fixed in 2016/2017 edition.