8 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 6:35 PM by Chris Dordoni

Create Revisable Format for Word

Eric White

I have drawings that need to be inserted into a Word doc. I was told it needs to be in a revisable format (ie. text and dim values can be changes in the word doc). Is there a way that I can import the drawing and have the dimensions text be changeable?

I have already tried converting a pdf using the Nuance tool in Word, and it does not work. Only horizontal text can be edited.

Any ideas?

• Re: Create Revisable Format for Word
          Jeff Holliday

Instead of actually revising the text, could it just be covered with characters on a different layer? Or maybe just erase the original and retype in the area?

Alternatively, have you tried using a pdf-editor package like Adobe Acrobat (expensive) or a lower-cost version like Foxit PhantomPDF?

Eric White

Instead of actually revising the text, could it just be covered with characters on a different layer? Or maybe just erase the original and retype in the area?

This works, however the document is an IEC document, so it needs to meet ISO standards. Since MS Word has no 'scale', the line thickness and fonts can only be estimated. However, if there is no alternative, then this should suffice.

Alternatively, have you tried using a pdf-editor package like Adobe Acrobat (expensive) or a lower-cost version like Foxit PhantomPDF?

At my office we have PDF Converter Professional 5.0. Similar to the MS Word Nuance tool, it does not allow vertical text to be edited. Also, this IEC documents need to be revisable by multiple companies/individuals. There is no guarantee that they have the same software/capabilities. Otherwise, I would just embed the SW files so they can edit them with Solid works.

It seems I am  asking for too much here... (or rather the committee I'm drafting this document for )

Thanks for the first tip, it is my best option so far. Any other ideas?

Chris Saller

Create models and drawings, then copy into Word for additional changes? Do you scrap the models after?

Eric White

Create models and drawings, then copy into Word for additional changes? Do you scrap the models after?

I keep the models and drawings, however this document is being reviewed/used by multiple orgs around the world. Not all of them have SW and are not capable/willing to edit them with third party software.

If I had it my way, they could just request the files or ask me to change them myself but they are requesting a "revisable format" in MS Word.

Would you be able to use place holders for the drawing dimensions, like "A" or "BASE", then provide a table in Word for the user to edit?  Just a thought.

Eric White

Would you be able to use place holders for the drawing dimensions, like "A" or "BASE", then provide a table in Word for the user to edit? Just a thought.

That's already how the document is set up! But they want the letters to be changeable as well...

The reasoning is the dimensions will change when revised. Ex. AB becomes AB1. Why it needs to do that is beyond me.. but I'm not in charge so oh well.

Thanks for the suggestion anyways

Chris Dordoni

You might also try Inkscape (open source). I can open a drawing I have printed to PDF from SolidWorks and edit the text.

Inkscape can save in WMF format (windows meta file) which can contain text and vector graphics.

I am not sure if Word can edit a WMF (I think it could at one time?), ... don't have it on my system to test.

Chris Saller

I prefer eDrawings. Everyone can look at it and add mark-ups/comments.