4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2016 3:50 PM by Paul Salvador

DISPLAY STATE IS UNSTABLE

Maxim Frayer

Here we go again: I am running SW'15 SP5 and have run into this problem (again!) with the display state manager.  Upon creating a display state, working with unlinked configuration, in a multi-body part, the result is unstable representation when toggling between the display states.

1. In one display state instability, the solid body is shown incorrectly, not per the saved or intended display state, as visible in the design tree and then is not showing in the graphics oddly enough.

2. Once a display state is generated, toggling to other display states (all unlinked in this case) causes unstable states, that is, the display state changes on its own from the intended state.  Below is shown the display state system, in this case, for your reference:

This is a disappointing and frustrating trait of SW, which has become too common with each new release...

Any recommendations, outside of recreating the component file from scratch, are appreciated...

• Re: DISPLAY STATE IS UNSTABLE
          Paul Salvador

Maxim,.. this has been a pita since.. well, a long time... and it's not just display states, it includes solid bodies and surface bodies which are not displaying!?..

Maybe, a new rebuild option, similar to a ctrl-q... like a ctrl/alt-q which could rebuild, repaint all configs and display states!?

I hear ya.. it's VERY FRUSTRATING... and, I don't have a solution.. maybe SOLIDWORKS CORP... can help.. you know, the PEOPLE WHO WRITE THE CODE FOR THIS PROGRAM??? 

Elmar Klammer

Hello Maxim,

I feel your pain. The same problem is rampant when working with multi body sheetmetals. I work with 2013 and you are saying 2015 still has the this issue. Well be patient and wait for Solidworks banner statement "we are implementing based on the continued feedback from users...." and then wait some more....until you finally give up.

The moral of the story is, take matters in your own hands and find a workaround (if there is any) or simply don't use it. If you are a thrill seeker, there is simply no better feeling than working with random software functionality under tight dead lines.

Maxim Frayer

Hello guys:

Thank you all for your recommendations and your own accounts of SW's problems.    Nice to know that one is not crazy in his implementation of a workflow and expectations.  Like you are saying, the problems don't really go away with new releases, so a workaround (usually many steps backward) has to be adopted.  In my opinion, the quality of the current software is mediocre.

Paul Salvador

yep.. it's 3am... and you are about the finish the design for the 8am presentation,.. and WTF?..  randomly,.. surface bodies you were able to see 5 minutes ago are hidden.. and you can't quite select them?!?

...you become light headed,.. then blackout,.. and wake up at 7:59am with clumps of hair in each hand...