12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 8, 2016 10:01 AM by Stephen Lapic

Local state incorrect for Read Only user

Dwight Mickley

I am not sure if the data is incorrect or if this is how it is supposed to work.

For a Read-Only user that is only able to read contents of files in the Released state.

When the file is Released the user sees the following on the Version Tab

Local version: 12

Latest version: 12

Local revision: C

Local state: Released

When another user puts the document in the Work in Process state on a different PC the Read only user sees

Latest version: 13

Local state: Work In Process

When another user puts the document in the Pending Approval state on a different PC the Read only user sees

Latest version: 14

Local state: Work In Process

Why does the local state change to Work In Process?  I would expect the local state to remain as Released.  Also as the document goes thru other transitions (Pending Review or Pending Approval) the local state does not change it is always Work In Process.

• Re: Local state incorrect for Read Only user
          Craig Schultz

Is the "Ignore permissions in previous states" checked in the WIP/Pending states?

Just a shot in the dark that the ability to view was checked in the released state and stuck with it going through a rev change.  Now if you put on ignore permissions, that would set them back to not being able to see the WIP/Pending states since the ability to view would be unchecked.  Once again, just a guess. 

Faur Arama

Hello,

If the read only user must see only files in released state you must set the option "Read file contents" only in released state for this user.

In this case the read-only not see files that are in work in progress state.

Dwight Mickley

Craig - Good thought but no luck.  I enabled (checked) "Ignore permissions in previous states" for all states except Released and no luck, it still changes the local state to WIP (note the state in the folder view still says Released as I would expect it to).  If I enable (check) "Ignore permissions in previous states" for Released then the document disappears when it is not in that state.

Faur - For the Read Only group I have the following permissions set.

Folder ("Read File Contents", Read Named Bill of materials", See Computed BOM")

State (Released - "Read File Contents", nothing is checked for any other states)

I added screen shots that the Read Only user sees.  First is when the document is in the Released state, the second is when I put the document in WIP.  If I do a get latest it stays on version 43 (the released version as expected).  I just don't know why the local state changed when the local version did not change.

Thanks

Dwight

Faur Arama

Try to use "Always work with latest version of files" for your read-only user.

Dwight Mickley

Faur,

I set "Always work with latest version of files" for your read-only user and the local state still changes when another user changes the state of the file.  The read only user is only able to view the latest released version as expected, its just that the local state changes from Released to Work In Process.

I am using PDM 2016 SP 2

Thanks

Dwight

Charley Saint

You're getting that because they don't have the permission "Show Working Versions of Files" which means they can only see versions of files that have a Revision associated to them.

Dwight Mickley

Charley,

Sorry if I am not clear on what the issue is.  I have a read only user and I only want them to be able to see Revisions, this is working.  The problem is when another users moved the document from the released state to any other state, the Local State for the Read Only user changes from Released to Work In Process (see my screen shots above both are from the Read Only user).  The version and revision did not change but the Local State did change.  I thought that the local version, local revision, and local state would be that of the local file but that is not the case, the local state changes when the local version and local revision does not change.  If the Read Only user is only supposed to see Revisions, why is the local state changing, it should always be released.  Also if another user puts the document in a state other than Work In Process the local state does NOT change for the Read Only user, it always says Work In Process until the new version is Released.

Charley Saint

OK, I'm with you now. That's almost certainly a problem with it reporting the last state that version was in, and it not creating a new version until after a transition occurs. You can check the history of the file to make sure, but it probably says something like

Event                                              Version                   Comment

Check-In                                         13

Transition from Released to WIP    12                           This is the latest info on Version 12

Rev C                                              12

Transition from WIP to Released    12

Dwight Mickley

Yes that is basically what my history says and the version does not change until checked in.  I guess what I am trying to figure out is this issue a configuration issue (so far it does not appear to be) or how the system works, if its how the system works is this a bug because I think the local state should not change when the local version and revision do not change even if the latest version does change.  I am only on SP2 so maybe this issue has been resolved in SP3 or the upcoming SP4?

Charley Saint

I don't think so, not sure it's even been reported (I couldn't find anything in the KB about it). Logically it's happening in the correct order, the transition occurs and then it runs the actions that create the new version, so they'd need to add functionality to allow users to force actions to happen before a transition (like in dispatch). If it's something you want to handle right now you can add an intermediate state between Released and WIP with an automatic transition to WIP. Name it something like "Released/Under ECO" and have the set variable command on the transition to it and nothing on the automatic transition.

Dwight Mickley

SOLIDWORKS has acknowledged this as an issue with PDM. This has been marked as SPR #513407: 'Local state' in version and preview tab shows wrong state when getting earlier versions - state info does not version in cache. You have been attached to this SPR.

Stephen Lapic

You could always create a pdf when the document goes into release.  The group then could be set up to only see pdf files in released state.  The workflow could be set to automatically transition pdf files in the folder to move to the released state.  This way you wouldn't have to worry about transitions.  I saw that in SW 17 that you will be able to set creating pdf files to a task, this would be great because then you could put it in the workflow so that when the document transitions the task would automatically create the pdf file for you.

Granted this is a work around but it wouldn't be hard to set up at all.