3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2016 2:10 PM by Keith Rice

Adding partnumber and bendlines to Export Flat Pattern View (Configurations)

Tom Adams

I am interested in this macro 3D ContentCentral and I am attempting to modify it to do 2 additional things:

1) Use the partnumber added in the Configuration Properties under Bill of material options (part number displayed when used in a bill of materials) instead of the configuration name.

For example:

Part name is MWS, current config is 2418-WM, so current name looks like:

MWS.MWS-2418-WM.DXF

What I am trying to achieve is

99999980.DXF

2) I would like to add the abilities of options as found in another macro Export_DXF that would allow me to export the flat pattern with bendlines etc.etc.

In my first attempts I added in some lines from this example: http://help.solidworks.com/2012/English/api/sldworksapi/Get_List_Of_Configurations_Example_VB.htm

Debug.Print "  ConfigName(" + Str(i) + ") = " + sConfigName

Debug.Print "    UseAlternateNameInBOM = " + Str(swConfig.UseAlternateNameInBOM)

Debug.Print "    AlternateName         = " + swConfig.alternateName

Debug.Print "    Comment               = " + swConfig.comment

Debug.Print ""

With no success. I am able to copy and paste and track down some data flow through a macro. but I find myself getting stuck on what I feel are simple things. I would greatly appreciate some help with this macro and some advice, would taking a SW macro course be a good idea with no VB background?

Thank you for your time,

Tom Adams

• Re: Adding partnumber and bendlines to Export Flat Pattern View (Configurations)
          Artem Taturevych

Hi Tom,

Take a look at this example: #CODE|Get Configuration Part Number . Are you planning to export this for a single document or do you want to have a batch export of, for example, all files in the folder?

would taking a SW macro course be a good idea with no VB background?

I would not recommend to do this. But you can learn it yourself and read some VBA books or take some online tutorials/YouTube videos to understand the concepts. You do not need to have a deep knowledge of programming/VBA to attend API Fundamentals course, but understanding of basics would definitely help.

I would recommend API Tutorials by Keith Rice at http://cadsharp.com/. I believe there also some VBA tutorials as well.

Thanks,
          Artem

• Re: Adding partnumber and bendlines to Export Flat Pattern View (Configurations)
              Tom Adams

Take a look at this example: #CODE|Get Configuration Part Number . Are you planning to export this for a single document or do you want to have a batch export of, for example, all files in the folder?

That is an excellent example, I will see if I can incorporate that into the code I have presently. What I have is a single file with configurations. Within those configurations I have used the part number option as indicated above to assign part numbers to each of the configurations. Then with some luck I plan on exporting the flat patterns out as [partnumber].dxf  into folders that have the first 3 numbers of the partnumber (semi smart partnumbering scheme)

For example:

MWS.SLDPRT

Has several configurations which I assign the partnumbers 7000101, 7000102, 7000103...

The folders would be something like

[Drive letter]/staticpathtoexportfilesto/

(and the folder structure)

7000101.DXF

7000101.PDF

To answer your question, currently I am just looking to get a single .SLDPRT. I think in the future a per folder batch would be extremely useful as would performing it on an assembly. However I digress, as I must first get the basics setup.

I would not recommend to do this. But you can learn it yourself and read some VBA books or take some online tutorials/YouTube videos to understand the concepts. You do not need to have a deep knowledge of programming/VBA to attend API Fundamentals course, but understanding of basics would definitely help.

I would recommend API Tutorials by Keith Rice at http://cadsharp.com/. I believe there also some VBA tutorials as well.

Thank you for your insight, I appreciate it. I will have a look at links you provided - I have them bookmarked! Again, I appreciate your help and time in this matter. Thank you!

Tom