23 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2018 1:41 PM by Glenn Schroeder

My linear patterns only follow X or Y axis?

Mike Dunn

Is there any secret to get a linear pattern to follow a line rather than the x or y axis? I'd like to make a pattern using a construction line to determine the angle rather than an axis. If select the entities I want to pattern then select the line to set the direction it simply adds the line to the list of entities to pattern and retains the x axis as the direction.

• Re: My linear patterns only follow X or Y axis?
          Deepak Gupta

This is still a limitation, please vote for SPR #: 815708 or ask you VAR to get you connected with this SPR.

Solid Air

Mike,

What version of SolidWorks are you using.  This screen shot was taken from SW2014.  What I did is select the line first (from the graphics window) then the feature I wanted to pattern.  I also tried this by putting a construction line in the Cut-Extrude1 (hole).  I again selected the line from the graphics window then selected the feature (either from the feature tree or graphics window).  Both times I successfully created a linear pattern.

I was also successful creating a pattern from a sketch line in SW2016 (I will try it in SW2017 the next time I am on my work computer).

David Brukardt

I guess I do not understand the question; you are talking about a part model and you are trying to pattern features correct?  If so, and if I understand the question, I have been doing this for a while now.

I read over SPR 815708 so I must really be confused what you are trying to do.  I fired up my copy of SolidWorks 2001+ and was able to do what I think you are asking.

I have attached a model (made in SolidWorks 2014) that creates a linear pattern of a feature that contains a construction line that I used to set the direction of the pattern.  Let me know if this is what you are trying to do.l

Anna Wood

I am assuming you are talking about sketch patterns and not feature patterns?  It is a limitation in sketch patterns.  Probably a low priority since most everyone will tell you to never use sketch patterns.  I am not one of those most everyone's.  Vote for the SPR...   

David Brukardt

Your right Anna, I would have never thought Mike was referring to sketch patterns as when I started using SolidWorks back in 2000 they did not work very well and our users were told not to use them.  I revisit them ever few releases but the only improvement I have seen is you can now change the number of  instances.  I still find them very difficult to lock down so they are fully defined (although I have not looked at them in the current release).  Just out of curiosity why do you like them and what application to you find them better than other modeling methods.

Alexandre Sauve

Generally I prefer feature patterns, especially because the definition can easily be edited after creation. The big problem though is that features in general will not accept any equation based input. Sometimes equation based modelling is a must, which limits users to trying to recreate the functionality using only sketches. Really wish that features could take equation based input! then we wouldn't need these workarounds

David Brukardt

MIke,

Anna enlightened me that you are talking about patterning sketch entities.  If you read my reply to Anna, you will find that I do not use them because of issues with them back in SolidWorks 2000.  It has probably been several years since I last looked at using them; so I took another look.  I see your issue but, as a work around, could you not make your construction line parallel to the line SolidWorks creates when an angle is entered (see screen shot)?  I created the simple pattern below of a slot by entering an arbitrary angle into the A1 box then, after completing the pattern, made my construction line parallel (\\3) to the line SolidWorks added to create the 2.000 dimension from.  Does this help or am I still not understanding your question?

Mike Dunn

Thanks for the replies. The problem I am talking about is the sketch pattern feature not the feature patterns. What I wanted to do was model a simple stair stringer. I thought it would be easy to just make one riser and tread on my sketch and them pattern the rest of them and make them follow along the line that angles up for the stringer then extrude it. The perplexing part was that if you read the help that SW gives for that function it shows that you can choose a line or an edge to have the sketch pattern follow but in actuality it will only follow the x or y axis. I could calculate the angle as David suggested. I could also form the first step with a cut feature then pattern that. I was just perplexed why the sketch pattern didn't function as the directions explain. I'll have to vote for the SPR. Seems like a function should work or not even be there. By the way I'm using SW 2015.

Mattew Stafford

I realize that this is an older post, but I did find that David Brukardt advice was helpful.  I also found that you can select a "model" edge rather than a sketch entity to dictate the direction/angle of the pattern.

Kevin Piper

I just wanted to throw this out there since I have not seen it mentioned.  If you want to perform a linear sketch pattern on your current sketch in the direction of another line on the sketch, you can do so by converting entities into a new sketch and patterning off the original.  For whatever reason you're able to use entities in previous sketches as a source for patterning but not the one you're working in.

As others said, setting an angle and feature pattern are faster, better choices, but if you run into a situation where those aren't applicable this is good to know.