19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 8:31 AM by Dave Bear

Attaching two circular entities...........

Dave Bear

Hi all,

Can anybody steer me in the direction of a tutorial on how to connect two circular entities please. I have designed a linch pin with an eyelet. I am currently having trouble finding a 20mm split ring so I might have to try and create one but after that I will need to be able to insert the split ring through the eyelet of the linch pin and some chain. Any help in these matters greatly appreciated.

Dave.

• Re: Attaching two circular entities...........
          Vladimir Urazhdin

Hi Dave,

I would create two separated parts: eyelet pin and split ring. Or you can download parts from McMaster-Carr and modify the way you need. Then build two parts assembly: pin - split ring. If you need, you can save this assembly as part: "Save As" and choice the option - "Part".

Solid Air

Dave,

You can either use Vladimir's suggestion of creating an assembly or you can insert the ring into your model of the linch pin and use the locate part option in the insert part property manager to get it to go through the eyelet.  Inserting a part into another part is found by selecting Insert, Part from the SW menu.  As for a tutorial, try searching on YouTube for a video that may help you.

Jaja Jojo

Try to search on YouTube you can find so many tutorials of solidworks which makes it so popular unlike inventor, PTC Creo, NX and other 3D cad

Dave Bear

I have played around and played around and nothing I try seems to work. I even created two different size rings (really basic) just to try and use as parts in an assembly to see if I could attach them together and have them react as if the were actually interlocked.............. No success. Got me stumped!

Jaja Jojo

could you attached your model for our reference so that we could help you

JOHN GEORGE

Dave,

It's not clear how you want to assemble the rings

Are you trying to assemble 2 individual rings or one ring with 2 snaps?

If you can post a picture or a drawing, that would help

Dave Bear

Hi John,

Here is a graphic representation only of what I'd like to achieve. It's not unlike any ordinary everyday household key on a keyring if you like. I hope that makes sense. I have just recently posted the two concerned parts in a previous post if that helps also.

Regards Dave.

Result.jpg

Peter De Vlieger

Nice conundrum because, if I understand you correctly, you want it restrained in such a manner that the ring can rotate around its own axis as well as have all freedom of movement within the boundaries of the ring of the linch pin.

This means that you can't use any coincident mates, concentric or tangent mates for obvious reasons because of the conditions mentioned above. It also rules out any of the mechanical or advanced mates.

The only things that one is left to work with, because of the freedom in all 3 dimensions, is to work with something that limits the centerpoint of the split ring within the volume that it can move in with an additional constraint that the part of the split ring body that is within the ring of the linch pin can't move past the limit that linch pin body poses.

Purely out of intellectual curiosity I would love to learn how one can achieve that.

Bill Toft

Hi Dave,

Here is one way of accomplishing this.

I first had to create a "Mate" part then used sketches for the mates.

1. I created the "Mate" part as a (transparent) configuration in the eye of the Linch Pin, then mated the two configurations into an assembly.

2. I also added a sketch with a single line (for mating).

3. Two mates keep the "Mate" part centered in the eye and free to rotate on the temporary axis.

4. I added a parallel mate (which can later suppressed) to help when I tested the next steps.

5. In the Split Ring I added 3 sketches that will be used for mating in the assembly.

6. In the assembly I used 3 mates. One keeps the Ring coincident with the "Mate" part sketch line. Another uses the LimitDistance mate to allow it to "slide" withing the Linch Pin opening. The last is a perpendicular mate to keep the Split Ring in alignment with the "Mate" part.

7. You can now suppress that Parallel mate (#4) to get more degrees of freedom.

8. Lastly you can hide the "Mate" part to conceal the magic trick.

Bill

Sindre Sorhus

Hi Dave,

To achieve real world interaction between components in assembly if you use the Physical dynamics option inside move component feature. You can also make a simple motion study with gravity and solid body contact to display this in a animation. Take a look at the attached clip and model with example of this.

Per Engberg

A simplified way to mate could be to mate a point on the pin in the centre of the hole to a circular sketch on the ring. Then just mate two planes, and the ring can rotate freely, just not along itself.

Dave Bear

Hi all,

Firstly, thank you everyone for the time taken and the consideration shown towards my question, it's so very much appreciated. Being a complete novice I will spend this morning (Aussie time) looking at each of your examples and try to make sense of how you achieved such outcomes because as I mentioned I will need to repeat the process with some other parts.

Kind regards,

Dave.

Dave Bear

Review........

I'm amazed at the outcomes. The video by Sindre Sorhus really reflects the desired outcome I wanted whereby the ring would move freely but is constrained by the eyelet but having said that, unless I'm missing something, this cannot not realistically actually be achieved within an assembly? Both of the excellent examples by Paul Salvador & Per Engberg work well but have the flaw of the split-ring being able to rotate thru the solid of the pin and the restriction of the rotation only being on one axis. Bill Toft also came up with a brilliant solution that was able to move thru the centre of the eyelet but I found that it could breach the eyelet's boundaries.

Forgive me please, for I do not mean to sound critical but this would mean that when I connect chain to the other side of the split-ring everything would be in one straight perpendicular line instead of being free-flowing. Actually, that raises another point. When one designs chain or chain-link as in the type you might use to padlock a gate for example, how would you join those links and make them free-rotating but with their own realistic real-world constraints? It's the same problem is it not?

Ned Hutchinson

Hi Dave

have a look at this chain, you can pull and move quite realistically.

Mated by sketchs inside the parts.

Suppressed quite a few links in assem to reduce file size so unsupress them once youve got it.

Dave Bear

Hi Ned,

That chain link is brilliant! Exactly as I need it to be....... Well, apart from sizing, but I'll work on that later. This is exactly the desired result. I am guessing that it is a repetitive process link by link to maintain the movement freedom as you gain the chain length you need. What I need to do now is :-

1) Break down the assembly into steps for a dummy like me to understand and replicate.

2) Replicate the steps with my split-ring and linch pin (if possible, given that the linch pin has a flat inner inner diameter surface and not round.

Given that I am indeed a novice, would my parts need to have specific design features (hidden or otherwise) in preparation for such an assembly?

Thanks for giving me light at the end of the tunnel Ned!