3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2016 11:37 AM by Dennis Bacon

Put bend deduction on the bend line note?

Jeremy West

I can't find a way to get the bend deduction onto my drawing that were used on the bends. I would prefer to have it on the bend line notes, but would take any automatic/semi-automatic method. I have a gauge table set-up to pull the info from but can't find a way to do it. Any ideas?

JW

• Re: Put bend deduction on the bend line note?
          Dennis Bacon

Jeremy,,, I'm not sure (can't remember) if the earlier versions of SW have the options displayed in my screenshot, but certainly from 2014 on does.

Click on your flat pattern view and check the "Bend Notes". Then you can click on BA to add it. The numerical value of the BA is how you set your bend deduction in your part model even though it says BA. Could be k-factor, bend allowance or bend deduction. I typed the BD in, since that is how it was set up in my model, so it would show on the flat pattern and not confuse anyone on what those values are. I did not use a gauge table but I can't imagine that causing a problem. You might also try inserting a "bend table" into your drawing. May have to add a column to show bend deduction.

Jeremy West

Dennis,

I appreciate your response. Unfortunately this will not quite do it for us. The BA and BD are different numbers (unless Solidworks does something different), and the command "<bend-deduction>" does not work. I also gave the bend table a try and it too does not offer the BD within it. Being that the BD is essentially the x-factor, when running a press brake (especially an older one) it is the one dimension (besides the bend OD) that truly matters. I know that I can always put it in by hand by typing it in the notes area, but would be truly happy if I could find a method to automate that process.

Thank you again for your response.

Jeremy

Dennis Bacon

Jeremy,,, What ever you or your bend table put into the Bend Allowance box (of your part file) is going to show up in the drawing flat pattern. I know this can be confusing but if you put a bend deduction in the custom bend allowance value box that is what is translated to drawing flat pattern. You or your bend table chooses Bend Deduction, Bend Table, Bend Allowance, or Bend Calculation. Just because the dialogue box says "Custom Bend Allowance" that is not necessarily a bend allowance!. Confusing enough? I added the BD in front of the <bend-allowance> so it would populate in the bend notes because that what it is. It is bend deduction!!!!

If you add a column to your bend table in the drawing and pick a column type of BEND ALLOWANCE it will put the bend deduction in that column because that is how you set it up in your part. The values in my screenshot for bend deduction were taken from my bend deduction calculator and inserted into my part as I developed the model.

I agree that this is screwy in the terminology department but it does work and work well. I have used bend deduction in my sheet metal flat pattern development for over 50 years and have used it in SW since 2004.