AnsweredAssumed Answered

Issue with variables in mutliple office documents

Question asked by Stephen Lapic on Jun 30, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 30, 2016 by Lee CS Young

To put it simply I have an excel document (Doc A) with data that I want to be used in other documents. Now for the complex part –

One person will create Doc A off of a master outside of the vault at the very early stages of a project. Once the project gets the OK a second person runs the template to create a multi-level project folder in the vault that will pre-populate several forms with the values of the variables that were inputted by that second person.  Doc A is then added at the top level of the folder structure by the first person. There is info in Doc A that I want to put on to other word and excel files that are located lower in the project folder structure.

I can get a hold of the Doc A master file and add variables to the necessary cells as well as managing all the other documents to have the appropriate variables as well.  I know I will need to add the variables to the data cards and the folder cards as well.

But I don’t think that is enough.  I don’t see how the values in Doc A will get into the folder card to trickle down to the lower files.  If I could get it into the top level project
folder card, then I could use “Update values in files …”.

Any suggestions?  Is this even possible or is it a pipe dream?

Outcomes