2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 11, 2016 9:57 AM by Paul Chaplin

"Promote" configuration property displayed in the SolidWorks Configuration Specific Properties?

Paul Chaplin

Okay everybody, I've got a puzzle. The goal of what I am trying to do is to essentially be able to record the "Promote" setting from the configuration properties (Bill of Materials Options) on my EPDM file data card for that particular assembly automatically. The only real way of doing this (that has occurred to me thus far, at least) is to somehow have the promote property display a value in the SolidWorks configuration specific properties, and then have that property linked to my data card. I'm sure I could write a macro to look for this promote property, and create a Configuration specific property value for it (or just write directly to the file data card) but I'm trying to make this as automatic as possible. If anyone has any ideas on how to make this work, or any other methods of accomplishing this, I'd love to her them.

• Re: "Promote" configuration property displayed in the SolidWorks Configuration Specific Properties?
          Jeff Sweeney

I don't think I would store this information on the card, component's promotional status isn't typically something you would store in PDM.

If you are sure this is something you want to control from PDM, I'd create a card button, the button fires a PDM add-in that:

1. checks out the component
          2. opens the file in SW
          3. promotes the component
          4. saves, closes and checks back in
            • Re: "Promote" configuration property displayed in the SolidWorks Configuration Specific Properties?
              Paul Chaplin

Jeff,

The reason for wanting the promotional status to be displayed on the data card (and be recorded in EPDM) is for use with the software that transfers our assembly BOMs to our ERP system (CADLink). The CADLink version we are using is the EPDM based version which cannot natively see the promotional status of assemblies within SolidWorks, and would need a value on the data card to tell it how to handle sub-assembly BOMs. The card button may be a decent remedy, however the goal here is for the engineer who is working with the assemblies during the design phase to set the promote property in SolidWorks and have the data card pick this up. Having to perform an operation outside of SolidWorks (in addition to having to essentially perform the operation twice) to do this seems like a very cumbersome process. Seems to me that a manual user set checkbox in the data card would be about as much effort, however I like this idea to set this value on older assemblies, instead of having to check them out manually.