6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 21, 2016 8:09 PM by Paul Salvador

How to Model A Scooter

Ken Moyer

Hi,

I'm modeling a scooter that has a part similar to a Vespa, however I've struggled with the lofting feature in designing it. I've tried using guide curves in creating the part, however I'm still not understanding how to use the loft feature. Is there an easier way that I could build this model in Solidworks ? I've attached my concept drawings, as well as the sketch that I've attempted in solidworks. I would be most appreciative of any help.

Thanks

Ken

• Re: How to Model A Scooter
          Gabor Balogh

Hi Ken!

Lofted Boss/Base can be used by making parallel planes (to top plane) and make the cross-section sketches on them and the feature will set them together.

First you should separate the scooter to parts. I would try to use swept boss/base (driving an ellipse through a 3D spline) to make the main housing.

Gabor

Paul Salvador

Ken,.. maybe this will give you some ideas...  (updated tweaks...-b)

scooter-zxys-b.png

Ken Moyer

Scooter Shield Fairing.jpgHi Paul,

Thank you so much for building the scooter! I'm blown away by the amount of work that you put into it! I was trying to deconstruct the commands that used to create the model when I ran into an issue. I was using extruded surface command on the splines that you drew to create the shield/faring, however I got a different result.  I must be missing something. I would be most appreciative of any help that you could give me.

Ken

Paul Salvador

Hey Ken,.. glad it helps... surfacing is something I've been doing for >25yrs... it's always fun for me..

.. the boundary I created is a very liberal 4 sides... one thing I can strongly suggest,..  don't make it complicated.. make it simple, and then make it simplier... with all those curves you're making more work for yourself and it usually creates more problems. (although, you might get lucky sometimes and the surface is smoooooooooth... but that is rare)

..now you gotta mess around and render this puppy...  (for fun...)  opii.png