AnsweredAssumed Answered

Solidworks 2016: Swept Ring or Revolved Ring not allowing tangent planes

Question asked by Kevin Vitolo on Jun 28, 2016
Latest reply on Jun 28, 2016 by Kelvin Lamport

Hello,

I've been using Solidworks professionally for 4 years now, and have been familiar with the program since 2005, but this issue seems to only have come about since we switched to Solidworks 2016 a few months ago.  My company designs and manufactures steel baskets for parts washing/storage/dipping for various customers around the world.  We use rod and mesh to create the baskets and as such our designs almost exclusively are modeled with round rod and flat mesh.  During the modeling process I start with drawing the rod frame and then create a plane parallel to the top plane and tangent to the top of the bottom most ring.  This isn't an issue when designing a rectangular basket but when designing a round basket I am unable to use the bottom ring as a tangent face for my plane, I have to create an additional sketch or just offset the plane the distance required, both of which take more time than just pressing "Ctrl" and dragging the plane to create a new one.  Is there a setting or another way to create the round ring that will allow me to use the rod frame as a tangent surface?

The attached pictures are of a 6.25" square ring and a 6.25" OD ring, both created as a swept body.

Attachments

Outcomes