5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 30, 2008 12:30 PM by Christina Seay

Multiple configurations issue PDMWE 2008 and SW 2008

We use assemblies with many configurations (>200). As far as I know there is an issue that such assemblies don't show correct BOM for each configuration. In SW 2007 we used a macro that automatically save each configuration and after that when we checkin, the BOM for each configuration is correct. In SW 2008 using the same macro after a number of savings sw or exits or display a message that sw don't have enough memory and when we push the "Retry" button exits. We use the same computer configuration for 2007 and 2008.
      Now we don't have any solution to create a 2008 version for these assemblies.

Nucu
        • Multiple configurations issue PDMWE 2008 and SW 2008
          Jeff Sweeney
          There were at least two bug fixes in PDMWE 2008 SP4 that addressed quantities and configurations. Perhaps they took care of your problem?
            Thanks, but we use PDMWE sp4.0 so ...

Christina Seay
              I definitely know what you're talking about. We're using SolidWorks 2008 and PDMWE 2008 as well and it just seems like anything we do with configurations doesn't work right.

The latest issue we've had...

I've got fields, they are required and set to be read-only, that work beautifully on the default configuration, but are blank in the other configurations. I have set the fields to "Update all Configurations"... but the other configurations only update when you make a change to that field on the first configuration... and since that field is read-only, the user isn't changing it on the default, so it's not updating on the other configurations. And to top that off... since the fields are required fields, they can't check the files back into the vault since the required variables are blank on those configurations!

I still haven't figured out how to fix that one... perhaps a button on the card that will update the variables... no idea how to go about making the button.. but that's the best thought I've had so far...
                  John Layne

Christina Seay wrote:

I definitely know what you're talking about. We're using SolidWorks 2008 and PDMWE 2008 as well and it just seems like anything we do with configurations doesn't work right.

The latest issue we've had...

I've got fields, they are required and set to be read-only, that work beautifully on the default configuration, but are blank in the other configurations. I have set the fields to "Update all Configurations"... but the other configurations only update when you make a change to that field on the first configuration... and since that field is read-only, the user isn't changing it on the default, so it's not updating on the other configurations. And to top that off... since the fields are required fields, they can't check the files back into the vault since the required variables are blank on those configurations!

I still haven't figured out how to fix that one... perhaps a button on the card that will update the variables... no idea how to go about making the button.. but that's the best thought I've had so far...

Ditto having same problem, we have a meeting with our VAR this Friday to discuss this issue and others. Our current work around is to un-check the "read only" setting then edit the offending variables e.g. add a space then remove the space for the variable to update, this is a royal pain in the ----

Have you found a work around?
                  Christina Seay
                  I'm still working on figuring out something to use the API to force those to update on check-in or button-click on the card or something. I'm having to learn how to use the API so I can learn how to make a button to do it. I'm thinking something to the effect of get the current variable from the default configuration, then write the variable back into the field.

The only work-around we've found is the same thing you're doing... make the fields where they aren't read-only and manually change them to force an update. Major pain....