16 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2008 6:30 PM by Wayne Tiffany

dimensioning holes

Don Aldridge
      After I design a part and then go to make the 2-D drawing I run into a little hiccup. Any holes in the part do not have the little cross at the center that makes it easy to dimension off of. I end up placing a vertical and horizontal center line at each hole which gets messy and is a pain. How do I add a center line cross to all my holes? Thanks, Don
        • dimensioning holes
          Steve Calvert
          Don, I always insert my own center marks because I can control which holes get tied together but I think there's an automatic insertion somewhere I just can't remeber where it is.

Steve
          • dimensioning holes
            Brian Lindahl
            The setting is "Tools>Options>Document Properties>Detailing>Auto Insert on View Creation>Center Marks-Holes". The setting can be updated in your drawing document templates if you want all holes to be marked.
            • dimensioning holes
              Eddie Cyganik
              Don,

The "little cross at the center" is a Centermark. Check out the online help; you can insert centerlines and centermarks automatically when views are created or input them after the fact just as you would any annotation.

A word of caution; Do not dimension to centermarks or centerlines.
              For more on this issue, perform a search here, the topic it is thoroughly documented.
              • dimensioning holes
                Sven-Erik Nilsson
                Before you add any view to the drawing, select Tools/Options/Document properties and by "Auto insert on view creation", tic "Center marks-holes".
                Then will the center crosses be inserted automatically when you insert the views in the drawing, on condition that the holes are parallel to the view.
                  • dimensioning holes
                    Anna Wood
                    You should not need to create your own vertical and horizontal line. You will want to use Annotations.

Attached are a couple screenshots of what you are looking for. Right Mouse Button while in the drawing to bring up the command list. Actually RMB is your friend everywhere within SW.

You do not need to add centermarks to add dimensions. Just select your hole and dimension directly to it. This is actually preferred as you are dimensioning to actual part geometry and not an artificial (might not update properly) annotation.

Cheers,

• dimensioning holes
                        Don Aldridge
                        Thanks everyone, problem solved. I guess I don't fully understand why demensioning to center marks is a bad thing. I did a search on the subject and found nothing really definative as to why not to do this. I am new to CAD ( about five months now), my experience has always been on the drafting table and I always demensioned to the center of a hole. I am truly enjoying using SW and appreciate any help or suggestions that are offered. Don Aldridge
                          • dimensioning holes
                            Eddie Cyganik

Don,

Performing a search on "center marks" produces about 8 threads,
                            Check this one out!

So, dimension to geometry, not centerlines & centermarks!
                              • dimensioning holes
                                Don Aldridge
                                So what that is saying is if you place a center mark in a hole and then move the hole the center mark stays at the original position? This makes no sense to me, wouldn't the center mark be relative to the hole it's placed in and maintain that relationship? When I build the model drawing I demension to the hole origin, so if I place a center mark only in the 2-D drawing and then move the hole in the model drawing changing the demension wouldn't the 2-D drawing rebuild moving the center mark with the hole? I am going to play with this in a drawing and see what happens. Don
                                  • dimensioning holes
                                    Steve Calvert
                                    Don, this is why we all participate in these forums. I never knew that SW centermarks were a problem. BTW, this has to be fixed, I've always used some kind of centermark through out my CAD life and NEVER has this been a problem, until now that is. I will adjust my thinking on how I use them and remember to try and not add dimensions to my drawing except where necessary (I normally insert model dimensions).

Thanks Eddie and Anna,

Steve
                                    • dimensioning holes
                                      Don Aldridge
                                      O.K. I must be missing something. I just created a quick part with two holes extruded thru it. I dimensioned to the center of the holes in the sketch. I then went and created a 2-D drawing of the part. I turned on the center mark holes option. I dimensioned the drawing to the center marks, (dimensions were driven by the sketch). I then went back to the sketch and moved the holes, then hit the rebuild icon. Go back to the 2-D drawing and the center marks moved with the holes to the new location. As I stated eariler I am fairly new to CAD so maybe my terminology isn't correct or I am misinterperating what I am being told but I still don't see a problem with dimensioning to the center marks. I understand that if you place center marks and down the road they become dangling that would be a problem, I guess I'm just not understanding what would cause that to happen. Can someone educate me?
                                        • dimensioning holes
                                          Anna Wood
                                          Don,

On occasion there will be problems with the center marks not updating properly. Since you are new to CAD you have not worked on it long enough to have it happen to you. It will happen, depending on the scenario you are working on at the time.

There are all kinds of quirks in any CAD software that over time you will learn about and learn how to work around. It is just the nature of working with CAD software. Hopefully that quirk will not bite you to bad in lost time, or parts that are manufactured wrong.

Cheers,

• dimensioning holes
                                Alan Stoldt
                                I've seen this happen when the center marks are added to a drawing view after it has been created.

I run with the setting Sven mentions toggled on, but it doesn't create the center marks for slots, so have to add those manually.
                                  • dimensioning holes
                                    Andy Sanders
                                    A couple more thoughts..

If you dimension to a center mark, then for whatever reason decide to delete it later from the drawing, then your dimension goes away. Not so if you dimension to the hole itself.

If you have the automatic insertion of centerlines, prepare yourself for long waits in complicated drawings.
                                      • dimensioning holes
                                        Rodney Hall
                                        The center mark loses its association with the hole edge when you edit the hole in a way that changes that edge, like adding chamfer or radius, changing single hole to counterbored etc... This is how the center mark loses it's ability to "follow" the hole when it's position moves. Do what Anna and Eddie say and you will not regret it! I paid my dues on this issue back in 2001 with many drawings I created.

Also, if you convert edges, mate to edges or make relations to edges that later disapear, then things will go south on you.

Remember, design intent means way more than you think!
                                        • dimensioning holes
                                          Don Aldridge
                                          So today I learned something new about SW. I didn't realize I could just click on a hole to get a dimension to the center of the hole, I always thought I needed a center line or center mark to dimension from. I sure do like the look of the center mark in the holes though, I guess it's just what I'm use to.
                                          Thanks again to all that offered help and suggestions, this forum has proved to be a valuable asset with my learning SW.
                                          Don
                                            • dimensioning holes
                                              Wayne Tiffany
                                              You can have both. Whether you put your centermarks in before or after, make sure you click on the hole, not the centermark.

Keep in mind, though, that a dim to a hole has the opportunity to jump to one side or the other rather than the center. You can hold the shift key to force it to go where you want it as you place it, or you reset it in the properties box after the fact.

I usually find that if I drag the dim line to get the proper separation to the centermark, it wants to jump to an edge and I have to force it back to the center.

WT