9 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2014 2:45 PM by Wayne Bird

AutoBalloon Not Ballooning All Parts

Wayne Bird
      All,

How do I get SW08 to autoballon all parts in the assy, even the parts that aren't shown? Right now it's very easy to miss ballooning a part and not create the needed views that will display the parts that are hidden in standard views.

Wayne
        • AutoBalloon Not Ballooning All Parts
          Wayne Bird
          Disregard, I found the problem!!
              Wayne Bird
              All,

Sorry about this mess I thought I found the problem, but I didn't. Does anyone have advice on my first question?

Wayne
                  Eddie Cyganik
                  Wayne,

Just a little background for clarification:

==> Parts that are hidden are sill recognized by SolidWorks as they will still be listed in BOMs and are considered for mass properties. However, hidden components cannot be seen graphically.

==> Conversely, suppressed parts do not appear in BOMs because they are not even in memory. Additionally, suppressed components are not considered in any mass property calculations.

I guess the question would be; manually or automatically; How and where would SolidWorks identify and attach a balloon? Even if you were to perform the function, how would you do it?

So now, it's time for yet another; "SolidWorkAround":

To identify parts that have not been ballooned, simply access the BOM by selecting the "Three Little Triangles" (for lack of a better term) and review the first column. If a little balloon is present, then the part has been spoken for, if not, then you'll need to manually add a balloon.

In order to manually add a balloon for a hidden part, the part must be temporarily shown. Next, show its origin; add a balloon by selecting its origin and place balloon. The origin can now be turned off, the part hidden again and the balloon will remain.

Big problem with this method:

The balloon is pointing to open space because no component is visible.

So why in the world would you ever want to do this?
                      Wong GF
                      Hi all,

I'm using SW08 SP4.0. How do I control AutoBalloon to only balloon top level sub-assembly in an assembly?

Currently, AutoBalloon balloons all parts and unlike SW05 we can turn balloon on and off from BOM properties.
                        Dwight Livingston

Eddie Cyganik wrote:

Big problem with this method:

The balloon is pointing to open space because no component is visible.

So why in the world would you ever want to do this?

Eddie

We have our department policies for item balloons, but they are based on our historical practice, probably from the GE manual. Generally we balloon only things that show in a view, though we may make an exception for stacked balloons, as long as one of the items shows. I think though, this is done becaause of some local opinions.

I have not found anything on item balloons in ASME Y14. Have you seen anything there, or know of another standard?

Thanks

Eddie Cyganik
                            Dwight,

I proposed the method as a means of identification of hidden components because there are cases where components are invisible. As an example; we point to Hydraulic Fluid which is nothing more than the default planes and an origin but also contains meta data for BOM information.

Other cases would include paint, loctite, grease, etc., where the component is not visible but is applied to a part(s).

Having said this, I would never hide a physical component yet still expect a balloon to identify it. Wayne Bird has not replied nor did he ever explain exactly what his requirement was.

As far as the ASME specifications go and more specifically, the "Y14 Series", there really isn't a lot of information on balloons or requirements for assembly drawings. The only requirement that relates to this topic can be found in ASME Y14.24, Types and applications of Engineering Drawings.

In it, Section 4, Assembly Drawings, Sub-Section 4.3.1, (d) states:
                            An assembly drawing includes as applicable; depiction of the items in the assembly relationship, using sufficient detail for identification and orientation of the items. Details of a subordinate assembly are not normally repeated on the assembly drawing of a higher order.

There are other statements that could be included here but I believe the above says it all.

Lastly, as you alluded to, all companies should have a DRM (Drawing Requirements Manual) that clarifies, interprets and describes (w/examples), how certain requirements are to be managed. In doing so, they will comply with a major requirement established in ASME Y14.5M:

1.4 Fundamental Rules:

(d) Dimensions shall be selected and arranged to suit the function and mating relationship of a part and shall not be subject to more than one interpretation.

In our DRM, this is defined further for assemblies as:

(x) Assembly components and sub-assemblies shall be shown in their assembled state and uniquely identified. In doing so, the functions and mating relationships of all components and sub-assemblies will not be subject to more than one interpretation.
                                Dwight Livingston
                                Eddie

Thank you for your info. It is helpful.

I wasn't clear about "hide." I didn't mean hidden using the SolidWorks feature, but rather hidden because it is around the back side or covered, and so doesn't show in a view. We balloon only where an item can be seen. If we have 8X of something and four show in one view and the rest in another, we balloon 4X in one view and balloon 4X in the other. All this tends to create discussion among the those doing the drawings.

Thanks

Dwight