AnsweredAssumed Answered

Unexpected result with planar surface

Question asked by John Kreutzberger on Jul 24, 2008
Latest reply on Jul 27, 2008 by John Kreutzberger
I saw something interesting yesterday when working on a fairly complex parting line for a plastic mold design. I use the mold tools to a certain extent, but almost always create my parting surfaces manually and that's when this came up. In one area, I indentified a portion of my p/l that would be planar. Therefore I created a plane and opened up a sketch on it. This sketch had some converted edges from this swoopy part , some converted edges from adjacent surfaces and some lines. I noticed later that this surface ends up being not absolutely parallel to the plane that I sketched on to create it. It's usable anyway because the angle is 0.00000035°. Being pretty O.C.D.-this bugged me for a while, but I finally got over it and moved on. I only noticed that at all because I tried using that surface for mating when placing it in assembly. The mate failed when I used the surface, but was fine when I used the plane that the surface was created on.

Knitting was not the problem because I rolled back to before I knit my p/l together and it was still not perfectly parallel. Any thoughts?

(I cannot post the file because it is for Boeing, and they are touchy about that sort of thing.)

Outcomes