16 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2015 1:06 PM by Frank Schiavone

Rectangular Spiral?

Jaakko Kalliola
      Hey

I got a problem with spirals. I'm trying sketch a spiral that isn't round. I know how to make a helix with rectangular shape, but I'm pretty lost with this spilar problem. The only solution that i've found that works is sketching the spiral manually

So please, could someone give me helping hand?
        • Rectangular Spiral?
          Sven-Erik Nilsson
          One way to do it is to create the helix by using surfaces. It could be any shape. Rectangular or elliptic doesn't matter.
          See attachment.
          • Rectangular Spiral?
            Charles Culp
            Also note that you can just create the first rotation, and then use the pattern tool to make the additional rotations.
            • Re: Rectangular Spiral?
              Mac Baker

60 wrap achieved.jpg

Does anyone have a straight forward way to create this?  Too often, I can't seem to reduce my gaps and pack the coils close enough.

I need to create a series of these pancakes and pack them together like slices of bread and link them for a magnetics study I'm working on.

Scott Harvey

Mac,  Is this what your talking about?

Same coil copied.  1st, 2nd, 3rd is Green, Yellow, Red  (starts green inside)

I didn't merge the bodies.

Move/Copy the body and translate by the diameter then Move/Copy body again and rotate it 180 degrees.  You have to adjust your sketch so you have room for the connection (in grey / 2.00 dim)
                  Then make the sweep inside and out and linear pattern.

Inside                                                                                                        Outside

Mac Baker

AWESOME!!!  Now Try to Break it!!!  How Many winds can you get?  Can you get 60 or so?

Now here come a barrage of questions.

Can you sweep 16 or so profiles along your 60 winds?

What's your file side when you do this?

How tightly can you pack in your winds?

did you generate your swept path similarly or differently? id differently please enlighten me.

Oh I'm excited about your effort.  Especially if You have a quicker way with a much more efficient file size.  Good luck!!

Mike Pogue

Here's another way.

Frank Schiavone

Interesting, but I think the issue with this geometry is that the resulting trajectory is always slightly skewed.  The vertical and horizontal lines aren't truly straight lines (subtle s-shaped curves), and the corner arcs are somewhat elliptical (though not true ellipses).  This is because of the way the helix intersects the angled surfaces to produce the trajectory.

There's another thread where I posted this (in Pro/E):

2015-12-08_SQUARE_SPIRAL-01.bmp

2 features total, and a pattern of each feature and I can easily change the number of turns with one dim.  The radii all automatically change with every turn.

I'm going to try and reproduce this in SW.  It'll be a good learning experience since I'm new to it.

Scott Harvey

Whoa buddy.  Is this my project or yours?  That file is something I have saved in my archive.  Just sharing knowledge and seeing if someone on her had a new way of rectangular spirals.  So far no.

Mac Baker

Yep, no new way.

Mac Baker

I believe my point of my exercise was missed.  I have spent weeks looking for a straight forward solve.  I was emphasizing major obstacles seem to abound in the above exercise - (note I did not use the term "project").  Solutions are not apparent, controlling gaps is sporadic and illogical.  Winds are limited and have to be worked around and the file size is GINORMOUS.  I never specified dimensions nor units.  A new solve approach has not yet been introduced.  You showed that you could recreate the above task on a small scale and translate bodies.  Your, documentation was organized and the use of color was good.  Thank you for sharing your ability to translate bodies.

Scott Harvey

It's ok.  I was just implying if you have a seat of SolidWorks why can't you test out your specific design needs and test file sizes and capabilities.

When you say controlling gaps is sporadic and illogical what method are you using and do you have a model or image to show?

Mac Baker

Been trying exactly that for some time and was hoping that I was missing something obvious.  Will resume the tedious and continue filling up my notebook with the failure notations as I continue to trudge through the wrong answers.  No lie, more than 100 hrs so far.

Jody Stiles

Here's another solution if you have SW 2015 or newer.  You can use the Variable Pattern to generate the spiral.  It's a little quirky in that you need to extrude a solid "base" for the initial sweep and variable pattern to merge with but you can then cut away that body and get the desired result.

Rectangular Spiral Tree.png

Hope this helps,

Jody