3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2008 9:37 PM by Bill McEachern

Data Management

Chase Caruth
      I'm still learning all the tricks to Floworks. I get rather annoyed that when I make runs, the results are all automatically named 1, 2, 3, etc. Is there a way to have Solidworks give those files an actual name? I don't want to have to open the file just to find out what my configuration was. I'd like to make descriptive filenames.

Also, while messing around with things, I created several unnecesary configurations. How do I delete those? I've tried to open them and select 'Clear Configuration,' but it didn't work.

Last question. Is there a way to simply open a configuration without opening its model? For example, my test assembly is saved with the 5 deg AOA configuration open. However, if I want to view the 15 deg AOA case, I have to open the 5 deg case in Floworks first, then I can open the 15 deg case.

Some of these may just be pains that come with SW. Any help would be great.
        • Data Management
          Bill McEachern
          try taking some training or doing the tutorials - the product is easier to use than any other CFD package I have ever used and I have used more than a few of them. You can have more than one study in a configuration but I never do and find nothing particularily onerous about this practice.

You delete configurations in SWX -not from Floworks.

You just double click on the confi in the tree and you switch to the config with the analysis - it takes maybe 2 seconds depending on how big the assembly is and they tend not to be all that big in a cfd study. Sounds like a SWX training issue.
            • Data Management
              Chase Caruth
              I appreciate all the help, Bill. I am merely an engineering student just trying to experiment with Floworks. For me, it's just for fun for now.
                • Data Management
                  Bill McEachern
                  Hi Chase,

I am fine with all that and am gernrally happy to help out no matter what. However, if you could refrain from things like "annoyed" and other prejudicial remarks about the software when it is fairly obvious that you are new to it, it makes it easier for people like me who use the stuff day in and day out to help you.

BTW: you can name your configurations anything you want in the first panel of the wizard (I have been using this code for nearly 10 years - as long as it has been out - and I still set up every project using the wizard) or you can clone a study (RMB on the top of the FLWrks tree) to get a new one with a different name or change conditions. It just gives you a name automatically for convience.

Under the install directory there are a bunch of tutorials for floworks - hunt around under cosmos/floworks/lang to get the docs or under examples to get the files. You can learn alot by doing the first few of them. Just a thought.

Not sure if this next bit would be of any interest but if you or any of your fellow students are looking for a project that involve Floworks I have more than a few that I would like to see done. They could span everything from a course work assignment level to a final year project level. I could figure them out for any area of interest you might have as well be it aero or more industrial in application.....there isn't a shortage. Let me know if you have any interest and we can figure outhow to hook up.