AnsweredAssumed Answered

Advice on new computer specs

Question asked by 1-E7U6I6 on Jul 23, 2008
Latest reply on Jul 29, 2008 by Rich Osterreicher
Hey guys,

We are looking at upgrading our current machines as we dont think they are handling the drawings as well as we need them to. Options we have been given so far from IT:

Option 1:
* 2 x Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processor E5430 (2.66)
* 6GB Memory;
* 146GB 15000RPM SAS HDD
* PCI/PCIe Tower (7x9)
* NVIDIA Quadro FX-1700 512MB PCIe
* Windows Vista Business 64

Option 2:
* INTEL CORE 2 QUAD Q9450 [Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66 12MB CPU]
* 8GB(4x2GB)DDR2-800 ECC
* 146GB SAS 3GB/S 15K RPM
* NVIDIA QUADRO FX3700 512M VIDEOCARD
* LSI 3041E 4 PORT SAS/SATA
* IEEE 1394b 3 PCI CARD
* WIN VISTA BUS 64 OS [Microsoft Windows Vista Business 64 OS]

My suggestions, based on researching benchmark tests and these forums, have been that we should go with a much faster processor (at least 3.2GHz) based on the fact that our highest spec machine here has a Intel Core 2 E6750 2.66GHz processor, and the CPU struggles on some of the bigger drawings we have. We probably dont need anything more than a dual or quad core. We are thinking quad core as we are thinking towards the future a little.

Also top performers in the benchmark test have overclocked CPUs. I am waiting for IT to give me their opinion on overclocking and if they are willing to look at it as an option if we find the 3.2GHz still doesnt have enough get-up-and-go. What is the general consensus amoungst solidworks users here, do many people on here have overclocked computers at work?

The main items we are looking at is faster CPUs, faster hard drives (we've been given the option for 15000 rpm SAS HDDs) and I have suggested the nVidia FX3700 is a good choice based on benchmarking test results on the nVidia website.

Ive done a lot of research and think we're much better going with the Intel Core 2 Quad over the Xeon, but I would like to hear opinions from some of you guys as we really want to get the best value for money with our worksations, and see them last 3-5 years.

Your advice is much appreciated!

Outcomes