4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2008 2:28 PM by Chase Caruth

How do I change coordinate systems?

Chase Caruth
      I have a missile with a reference frame about the CG. I want to reference everything from that frame. COSMOS Floworks sets its own global frame, but I want to override it and use my own. For example, I want my freestream velocity to be referenced to my system, not theirs. HELP!
        • How do I change coordinate systems?
          Bill McEachern
          well the easiest thing to do is make mate the whole thing into a new assembly and mate it such that global is the one you want. You can specify rather easily other coordinate systems for things other than the global velocities for external type flows. I am not sure you can do it for the globabl though. It is rather simple to mate your whole project into a new assembly such that the gloabl of that new top level assembly is where you want it.
              Chase Caruth
              Okay. I looked at it, but I couldn't figure out how to mate my coordinate system to the global frame. I can't just select the global coordinate system, can I? Any ideas?
                  Bill McEachern
                  It really halps if you know how to run SolidWorks.

In the your file put 3 planes through the coordinate system that you want as the new global origin such that all the planes are normal to the axis you want for the new global frame. Open a new assembly file, insert your project into it and mate the planes that pass through the origin you just made above tot he only 3 planes that are in the new assembly file at the top of the tree. If you can't figure out what I just said find somebody that knows solidworks and ask them for some help. It is pretty simple if you know how the modeller works.

By the way, you should adjust the AOA by chaging the velocity components not by changing the geometry as this will tend to conserve computation effort. But it will all work.