3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 17, 2008 10:19 PM by Wayne Tiffany

Make drawing from sketch?

Henry Liu
      Sorry if this is a newbie question but is there a way to make a drawing from a part and link it so if I update the part, it updates the drawing?

I can insert view in drawings of a part but don't see where I can insert "sketch" from a part.

Often times, I need to cut plasma parts out from sketches and I would like to avoid cutting and pasting it every time I update the sketch in the part.

Thanks for any leads!
        • Make drawing from sketch?
          Wayne Tiffany
          I think your answer may be simpler than you expect.

A drawing view of a part will update when the part is changed. If your part is just a sketch, then insert the part as you normally would, but then you will have to go into the tree for that view and tell it to show that sketch.

WT
            Henry Liu
            Hi,
            Thanks for the info. Here's a simple scenario:
            -I draw a box sketch (1) and extruded it
            -I draw a hole on another sketch and extrude through all

I now have a plate with a hole in it. The plate needs to be cut on a plasma table and the hole is drilled so I need a sketch of the box only to convert to DWG to cut it.

Do I just insert a front view and suppress all the other elements on the drawing or is there a better way? Thanks again.
                Wayne Tiffany
                There are a couple ways to handle that kind of stuff based on how your shop operates.

Here, we will detail parts on the drawings and not try to guess at how the shop is going to manufacture it. If we require a hole to be drilled/reamed/etc. then we either tolerance it or call it out such that they know they can't plasma cut it. Then I output a dxf file of each part that I suspect they will burn, and they decide at the time of making the burn code whether or not to include certain profiles.

The other approach would be to decide ahead of time and therefore generate a configuration of the part that has only the burn profiles in it. In your example you would suppress the hole in that config. Then you would use that config in your drawing view for the plasma profile.

The second method doesn't leave room for the shop to decide on the process, which could be good or bad.

WT