Michael Mandry

Need quick help specing out new laptop..with a twist

Discussion created by Michael Mandry on Jul 17, 2008
Hello all! This is my first post, but I have been scanning for a while. I recently lost my job but have the opportunity to do some of what I call "underwear contracting". That is contract work you can do from your house, while sitting around in your underwear .

Enough of the bad mental images. The company I will be doing the work for has lots of projects to keep me busy, so I will be needing my own laptop. I have never spec'd one out and need some help. One twist is I have to run SW2007, and not 2008. So that means XP Professional 64-bit, from what I have read. I was looking at the Dell Precision M6300 with Intel® Coretm 2 Duo T9300 (2.50GHz) 6M L2 Cache, 800MHz Dual Core and 4Gb of DDR2 RAM. It comes with a NVIDIA® Quadro FX 1600M 512MB TurboCache (256MB discrete) Video Card, but they offer the NVIDIA Quadro ® FX 3600M 512MB for an extra $500. This seems like a ton of money and I am not sure what the added benefit is.

Does this sound like a system that has room to grow to if I need it? They offer to load XP Professional and give you the disk for Vista Business or Ultimate when you need it. So it has a lot of potential should I ever need to switch to Vista.

I am on a budget so any advice on the best places to spend money and where you can delete some features will help. I need to place an order in the next couple of days so any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

Outcomes