6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2008 1:44 PM by Andy Fraser

Editing constraint for layout sketch

Christine Bickenbach
      I have a layout sketch that I am using for my layout assembly.

When creating parts from blocks you get the option of either projecting the part from the layout sketch or keeping it on block.

For one of my parts I choose projected, but now I would like to change that to fix. In my mates, I find the Layout: part-Block Projected1 and am able to click it and edit the mate, BUT, when trying to edit the mate the only option I get is to delete it.....

Does anyone know how I can edit to to make it on block and not projected anymore??

I'd hate to have to "re-do" my part since I have a lot of stuff buildt up upon this one particular part....

Any help is highly appreciated!
        • Editing constraint for layout sketch
          Andy Fraser
          Hi Christine,

It isn't possible to change the layout sketch constraint, but it is a great idea. Please submit an enhancement request.

In the meantime, could you mate your part to the layout sketch and simulate what you're after?

Andy.
              Christine Bickenbach
              Hi Andy,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I kind of came to that conclusion now too.. Didn't really make sense to me though, why I couldn't change it. I'm able to set it, so you'd think I could change it.

That was one way I could have done it, but I decided to go delete the part and redo it with the on block contraint this time. It just seemed cleaner that way, at the time.

Attached is the my fixture. It is quit simple and this is the first time I am attempting top down assembly and thought it would be 'fun' with the blocks since the crane demo seemed so neat.

Anyways, in the mean time I have abandoned this way. I ran into another problem... in my assembly I had the mounting block and in the layout sketch which was the start of it all, it is contrained in position. Well, when editing the block, that contraint is no where to be found and the block is moveable. So, I tried to contrain it to the other existing blocks (in edit block mode), but it won't grab any of the other blocks or parts when trying to dimension.... I know when I created the block that I had that one point to position it and help contrain it, but now I can not find how to make that point appear or edit it.. So, now I was stuck not being able to contrain that block / part.
              I than tried to constrain the mounting block as a part, but SW is telling me it is fully contrained, but I can not find out where it is.
              I'm trying to move the mounting block into a better position but unable to becuase of the above stated....

Anyways.. I thought it to be a total mess after awhile, there were just too many places that I could contrain things and it seemed like a tangle mess. Things were constained in the layout sketch, than again as block and again as part.... when changing things I didn't know where to look first and I buildt it, I thought anyone working on this after me will NEVER be able to find their way around...

Ok, I might be using it wrong, did something wrong along the way, since this is the first time using blocks and making them into parts. But, usually I am very good at solving problems, but this just had me pulling my hair out!

None the less, I am sending the assembly, because I do want to learn and figure out where I had gone wrong.

thanks

Christine Bickenbach
                  PS one more question...

when starting the layout sketch, it always positions itself on the front plane, is there a way to change this??

for my my sketch is a 'top view' so I wanted to start my layout this way, but couldn't figure out how.

Andy Fraser
                      I haven't had change to look at your assembly yet, but I can answer this question quickly.

There isn't a way to change where it initially positions itself, however you don't have to stay on this plane. Just like a normal 3D sketch you can sketch on any plane, or not on a plane at all, though it needs to be on a plane to be able to make a block.

Andy.
                          Christine Bickenbach
                          Urgh... you're right. I can pick the intial plane I want it on... for some reason I thought I had tried that but it just kept flipping to the front plane.

Sorry, my mistake, must have been a blond moment.

No worries, I'm thankful your looking at the assembly. I'm probably making it too complicated or something.
                              Andy Fraser
                              I think the problem here is that you may not realise that you have dimensions on the blocks. This is because they're invisible, that's a bug. If you display all dimensions and constraints, they are dimensions 15 and 20. If you box select everything you will see them drawn but you can't pick them.

As a workaround, if you exit 2d mode in the 3d sketch by double clicking on the background, not on a plane, then the dimensions should be visible and editable again. Sorry about that, must have been a brunette moment.

I hope I've understood what you were asking.

Regards,
                              Andy.